HASLAR MARINA

Habebty

Visit site
Not in our experience.

Two years ago we rounded Portland Bill late evening heading for Portland Marina. Darkness set in, the wind increased and it started to rain. The night staff at PM were checking AIS and saw 4 yachts round the Bill heading north, so either PM or Weymouth. PM was busy, but they put together a plan were to put us if we arrived at PM. 3 yachts did and we were met on the end of the visitors pontoon by a member of staff directing us were to go.

What more do you want as a service, and staff using some initiative ?
I too was impressed with Portland’s customer service last year, I stopped at Weymouth on the way down and paid more than Portland to be rafted 4 out in the Cove with a very long walk to the showers.

lustyd

Visit site
I’m in Premier Gossie.
I have no idea about the other ones.
They may be better than the other premier sites but I can’t say they were as good as Haslar. I’ve seen staff at Haslar proactively sorting lines etc. on boats while the owner was away. I’ve never seen anyone at a Premier look up from their phone while walking the pontoons.
I assume your experience has been better than mine though since you’re defending them. I’ll admit my really poor experience has mostly been Port Solent as a berth holder. Now at Haslar and it’s a different world, I even got to pick my own permanent berth which has the boat name on it!

ashtead

Visit site
Well we have decided to take another year at Haslar -at the boatfolk stand on Saturday we met another moody owner who seems an itenerant from port is head on his travels but he seemed impressed by life at Haslar. Some pontoons are clear better than others but car parking changes aside we remain happy with Ben and the team. Just need to keep the venture capitalist continent from running things the wrong way eg catering contracts .

ashtead

Visit site
New system being installed run by some third party cowboy parking merchants -thiink dart Ford tunnel operators and you will get the story. Apparently went down a storm at Portland but maybe some of the ULEZ blade runners will be on to it. There is btw no berthholder cries of parking issues at Haslar .

lustyd

Visit site
There is btw no berthholder cries of parking issues at Haslar
Not so far! The new system seems to allow for anyone to enter and pay on exit so could actually lead to fewer available spaces. It also means more crew cars in the main car park as we can add and remove them in the app for free. With 2.5 free cars at any given time we’ll have to see what happens but I’m hopeful they’d listen to feedback as usual.

ashtead

Visit site
It’s the parking of commercial trucks which spill over into adjoining space they need to control not crew members in .5 cars surely. We have never had issues before in parking but I feel it’s a solution to crack a non existent problem .once the cameras fail/misread complaints will arise leading to aggrieved bertholders for the marina staff to deal with .

SDerbyshire

Visit site
I’ve moored various boats at haslar on and off for about 30 years too.

I do like the marina and it’s proximity to the sea is unrivalled.

Its decision time for next years moorings and i’m considering Premier Gosport

As a motor boat owner now, my sailing days are probably behind me !, the fuel at cost benefit is enticing as is the actual availability of visitor moorings in the solent and beyond.

I know boatfolk also offer fuel at cost but they only have fuel in Portland!

Steve

xcw

Visit site
Weymouth have fuel too. Not that it makes a difference since they're next door :D
I understand Haslar were planning to put a fuel pontoon in on the hammerhead by the lightship but were refused permission by the authorities :(

Prologica1

Visit site
Haslar Marina are now making their car park an ANPR site where only the boat owner’s car plus one other can be parked without incurring a fee. During my 30 years at this marina I have always found a space. This is just another money making exercise in the long line of Boatfolk ‘improvements’.

this marina has changed so much since the days of John Dean and Richard Reddyhoff. NOT for the better me thinks!

what are other forum members thoughts
I'm only a summer visitor at Haslar. We generally base the boat there for 6 weeks or so. The experience of myself and the crew is that they are really very helpful and friendly and a pleasure to deal with.
Also we visited the creek when they had a problem with kitchen equipment so the menu was limited. But I have to say the roasted whole sea bream we all went for was absolutely delicious. No complaints with Haslar from us!

Mudisox

Visit site
It has much to do with the owners. Portland, developed for the 2012 Olympics was well designed and run by Dean and Reddyhoff but they knew they would sell to retire so ignored the problem of silting up as there is no through tidal flow, just dumping of sand from the causeway beach. Currently 1.6m less than 2012. The staff, many of whom are original, are still excellent, but " owners" are only there to get a profit of their investment. Sadly a case throughout most of the South Coast marinas.
In Brittany many are community owned and run. They want visitors to use the local facilities.

lustyd

Visit site
Yeah but here in the UK we want growth in the economy, not useful and usable services! Here in Reading they are gradually replacing the shopping centre with flats, apparently we don't need shops, leisure facilities or restaurants, just somewhere to exist between work days.

ashtead

Visit site
Likewise in Kingston on Thames -shops and car parking being phased out but I guess many not now able to drive into Kingston to shop in post ULEZ world so shops not so important and hence John Lewis exit .

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Now I am back from Lake Solent after an interesting weekend. With full sail we were still being carried by the tide at one point. Delighted to report that the circumnavigation of Nabs Tower has been completed and I'm now looking for the tee-shirt.

A couple of images from the weekend

IMG_20231001_205641_5.jpg

The pretty impressive shower block.

I am always amazed when marinas build new shower blocks that whoever designs them clearly has never been sailing as there is no room for an individual and all of their kit. The showers in Haslar were brilliant.

IMG_20231002_103223_4.jpg