Hard eye in Octoplait,

mickshep

Visit site
Having decided to go for a 10kg Delta (Cheers John) on an 8m chain leader attached to octoplait as my bower anchor I am wondering if there is a site that shows how to put a hard eye in the Octoplait for shackling the two together, Cheers all. Mike.

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
If you still decide to go for a hard-eye splice, the instructions are on that same web page, further down. I've used those to make a hard-eye octoplait splice. My rope was all white, without "easy splice markers", I found it sufficient just to use red and green tape on the left-hand and right-hand strands.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I spliced the octoplait to chain using thiese instructions.
http://www.sw-marine.co.uk/acatalog/8_strand_multiplait_to_chain_Splice.html
The octoplait had the strands with different colours in them so sorting the pairs was easy. The finished result was very satisfying.

One good reason to splice is not just for the strength but so it can also come up over the bow roller and round the windlass if you have one.

A

Anonymous

I've put two hard eyes (galvanised) into large 25mm anchorplait using Jimmy Green's instructions and had no problems except that with such large rope I couldn't put more than four tucks in. I am a bit of a coward when it comes to knots and things and it was only the £20 each someone wanted to charge me that inspired me - but it really wasn't difficult and very satisfying. Go for it!

You can, of course, splice rope straight onto chain but then you can't use the rope for anything else....I wouldn't attach rope onto a rode without an eye other than for the odd night in an emergency, due to the chafe.

mickshep

Visit site
"You can, of course, splice rope straight onto chain but then you can't use the rope for anything else...."

My thoughts exactly. Have to admit to being a tad worried about chafe where the rope runs through the chain, I also carry a 100m length of 'scarey' warp which can be shackled to the rest to give a very usefull length of warp should the need arise, Cheers, Mike.

A

Anonymous

[ QUOTE ]
I'm intending to change or upgrade the anchor cable. This has reminded me to check that a hard eye can pass down our chain pipe. If not, it'll have to be a rope to chain splice.

[/ QUOTE ] My eye won't pass through so I (would) just connect it on the deck. I haven't needed it yet, but I have 2 x 25m of very heavy octoplait just in case, one with an eye to shackle it to the chain. You need to make the chain fast first - chain hook, rolling hitch or shackle it to hold it in place, then make the eye fast by shackle, and let the rope out. My windlass has a drum and a chain gypsy so it isn't a problem.