Handy Billy - where to buy a ready made up one?

NFCN

Visit site
Following on from the discussions on MOB recovery solutions and mainsail sheet twistings - has anyone come across a place where you can buy ready made-up Handy Billies? A very useful thing to have on board, ready to attach - have thought about it for a while, and am now spurred into action.

I've Googled to no effect; have yet to ask the Chandler though. I imagine buying the camcleat / block and rope separately would be fairly easy though.

Nick

VicS

Visit site
Buy the bits and pieces and rope you need of appropriate size and make it yourself I think.

NFCN

Visit site
Quote: 'What is wrong with the main sheet tackle? A powerful handy billy.'

Nothing wrong with one - I quite agree - but I wouldn't want the boom flying around when trying to do this sort of thing:

HandyBillyMOBdiagram.jpg

VicS

Visit site
For that sort of thing the mainsheet tackle is probably the best thing to use. Tie the boom off to the backstay with a lashing.

William_H

Visit site
I would suggest that for a handie billy suitable for MOB recovery you would want 4 purchase with a max length of about 2 metres and rope of 10mm for handling and suitable large low friction pulleys. ie just like you mainsheet and hence quite expensive. You would fit snap shackles to both ends. olewill

Gin

Visit site
If your mainsheet tackle is attached to your boom end, have you considered, reversing that tackle (needs snap shackles each end for ease) so that the jammer is uppermost and is constantly engaged for security once the casualty has been clipped to it.
With a topping lift in situ, also attached to boom end, you then have an adjustable derrick via a cabin top winch to augment the scope of the mainsheet tackle to get MOB back on board.

You then have a powerful hoist and no flogging boom to cause more injury