Hand Operated Fresh Water Tap/Pump

G

Any plumbers out there who can advise me ?? I am going to fit a hand operated tap/pump for my fresh water system, in addition to the present electric system. The present system has one electric pump which feeds galley, heads and outside shower. My idea is to fit a 'T' piece at the main tank outlet and feed one arm of the 'T' to the electric system as is, and the second arm of the 'T' to the separate hand pump in the galley. Do I need to fit a non-return valve or anything else in the line to the hand pump???? Will this arrangement damage the electric pump in any way?? Thanks in advance. Alan Cloke.

G

It depends upon the characteristics of the manual pump Whether it has its own non-return valve and is self priming. If you are not sure then do fit a non-return valve between the tee & hand pump and you should not have any problems. This will not damage the electric pump.

G

You can run both taps from the same feed. That is, one tap without handpump and the other with handpump can come off one tee-piece adjacent to the sink. You can then use the unpumped tap when the pump is operating, and the pumped tap when you turn the pump off.

I have a similar arrangement on my boat, whereby a footpump is fitted inline from the electric pump to the tap. Water flows through the footpump to the tap when the electric pump is in use, and at night or when the electric pump can be switched off, the footpump supplies water to the same tap.

It works. It's been fitted to my boat since 1984. The footpump is a Whale Galley Gusher Mk3.

regards, Philip

G

Another thought...

Yes, you can run a hand/foot pump off the same line as your electric pump. However, if it's possible, consider plumbing the hand/foot pump to a separate connection to your freshwater tank, lower than the existing pipe to the electric pump (perhaps by replumbing the electric pump's feed to a higher level). In this way, you'll gain a measure of reserve capacity, ie the hand/foot pump will still work after the electric pump has run out of water.

G

Re: Another thought...

A very good idea. One that I would have considered if I had to install the system now. As it is on my boat, the take-off from the tank is almost at the bottom now. A good idea for anyone starting from fresh.

regards, Philip

G

Re: Another thought...

A very good idea. One that I would have considered if I had to install the system now. As it is on my boat, the take-off from the tank is almost at the bottom now. A good idea for anyone starting from fresh.

regards, Philip