Hamble to St Malo on the hottest week in history (pics)

Hurricane

Visit site
This was our first long trip on the boat with just the two of us.
SWMBO and I have always taken an experienced crew of friends with us in the past.
The boat is over 51 feet long and I've always considered it a handful for just the two of us.

However, the previous week I'd been to the forum's Wokingham pub meeting and it appears that someone (who will remain nameless) "single hands" his Squadron 58 so it can't be that hard with two of us on a smaller boat.

Anyway, armed with loads of advice we set off.

Alderney was to be the first port of call for lunch. We did our first cruise here last year and there was a particularly nice little restaurant we wanted to revisit.
IMGP0495.jpg

Then off to Beaucette on the evening tide for the night.
IMG_2197.jpg

Rick - I dont agree - the gap is VERY scary but with careful preparation on the approach and help from the marina staff all went well.
IMG_2201.jpg

The next day we headed off towards Brittany - St Quay for a couple of days.
IMG_2212e.jpg

Yeh - this is the life - Flat seas and nobody for miles.
IMG_2205.jpg

In the pub Derek had recommended Iles Chausey so we thought we would give it a try. I've not done "green stuff" on the chart before so this would be a real challenge. The place is full of evil rocks poking up everywhere. We popped in just after low water on the riseing tide and had the best meal of the whole week. Apparently only 7 people live here during the winter.
IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

We could have stayed the night but decided that St Malo would be more comfortable. Again thanks do Derek, we chose to "lock in" and moored up next to the ancient walled city. Whilst checking into the marina, I calmly asked if there were any restaurants nearby and got a confused look. So we stepped inside the walled city and there were simply hundreds of eating places - fab place to go - I believe Timbad and FenderGirl are there right now.
IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

Dont forget to stock up on that cheap French wine before you leave! - At one time, I think we had more wine on board than fuel.
IMG_2281.jpg

Early start (in the dark) to catch the lock - but there's something very special about sunrise in summer when you are out of sight of land.
IMG_2286.jpg

Then it was off to Guernsey and St Peter Port. Even picked up a passenger.
IMG_2289.jpg

After refuelling we dropped the hook in Havelet Bay had lunch and a swim.
IMG_2298.jpg

Three and a half hours later we were safely tied up at our home berth in the Hamble. SWMBO and I both agree that we can easily handle the boat on our own. It wasnt the first time just the two of have been out but it was the first long cruise together and he boat behaved herself with no misshaps.

For those interested this was the round trip - 6 days - Sunday morning to Friday evening - missing all the crouds.
Route.jpg

Will_M

Visit site
St. Malo... great place that, sailed over there a couple of weekends ago, you right about there simply being literally hundreds of places to eat and drink within the walled city!!

rickp

Visit site
Excellent stuff Mike - look forward to hearing more about it on Thursday /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We just saw this whilst we were at anchor this weekend - climbed out about 30 metres away from us:

196240248_fdaa5d2f24.jpg

Rick

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Brilliant Hurricane - more stuff worthy of MBM or MBY. I have holidayed around those parts and have often wondered about those pointy rocks that boaty folk navigate around /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I also have some very similar pictures, taken from past holidays, to the ones you have posted here.

Hurricane

Visit site
We clocked up about 20 hours on the engines.
On the passage from St Malo to Guernsey we only "toddled" along at 9kn in a favourable tide (about 10kn over the ground). This was mainly because it was very early and there was no point in arriving at Guernsey at low water - we needed diesel and the fuel berth dries. As it happened, we arrived on the riseing tide with about half a metre clearance on the fuel berth. This put about 3 hours extra on the engines.
Otherwise, everywhere else we went we cruised at about 24/25kn. Most of the time I plan to go with the tides. I wasnt sure what the Alderney Race would be like so I planned both times to arrive just after slack water with the tide flowing in the same direction as our route. The winds were very light and even with a bit of wind over tide the conditions were quite smooth. Still, the water flowing through the race is spectacular giving a very creepy feeling.

djefabs

Visit site
Hi Mike, looks like you had a great time. Iles de Chausey looked really crowded /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!
It really is worth the effort to pass thro' the lock in St Malo, a really stunning port.
I guess you found handling ok with just the two of you.? The guys at Beucette are very helpful especially if you let them know that this is your 'virgin' entry, particularly if you are single handed.
Look forward to hearing more of the adventures on Thursday.
Derek

Hurricane

Visit site
Yep we arrived just as someone else was leaving.
They moor "fore aft".
We found a big gap tied up at the front and added a long line aft to the next buoy.
When we returned the wind had picked up and a rain squall came through. Strong cross winds as well.
It was a bit tricky leaving - with just the two of us - had to rig extra slips etc in order to make a good controlled exit from the sound. All the other boats were sort of joined together and you had to be careful not to drive through a gap with lines stretched accros.

All in all though, a good challenge.

duncan

Visit site
thanks for taking the time to put together the post - also a nice balance of what and why which is helpful.

I too was somewat put off Chausey from your pictures - ie the words said 'go there' the picture said 'busy, difficult to find space etcetc