Halmatic 30

donm

Visit site
Nor me. Gadget should fit whatever engine he is comfortable with but you can reach a point of diminishing returns, 16hp is plenty, 20hp will have some reserve, that will probably never be used, 25 even more.

Gadget, As you probably well know, all boats with props labouring in an aperture tend to have two problems (at least!) 1 Prop cavitation and related noise transmitted through the hull, which is made worse as you increase the diameter/size of the prop and 2 Pressure pulses acting directly on the rudder which can become extreme even unmanageable at high revs, particularly with two blades. Before committing I would seek out people who have actual experience of motoring the Halmatic at top theoretical hull speed and see what they say. A second and third opinion is always good.

It's tempting to imagine motoring at 6.5 kts into a full gale but most people will cut the revs right down and vector off under mainsail; much easier motion, helm and noise levels.

Late to this thread sorry.
I have a Halmatic with a Beta 20 / 3 bladed prop. We’re in the Bristol Channel - top end with plenty of tide - and the boat has never been underpowered nor had to run on full revs. The boats are not good going astern as is well known, but I can turn her on the spot in her own length using reasonable power and prop wash so avoid going astern unless forced to do so. If the engine broke I would simply replace it with another Beta 20 in a heartbeat.
On some of the other points, I have two batteries under the cockpit sole and another in the stbd locker and have used the area below the chart table for a calorifier and a tool shelf.

Slowboater33

Visit site
Hi Halmatic gang!
Mk1 owner here. I'd love to see some photos of your battery setups! Has anyone thought about or successfully relocated the bank from under the cockpit sole? Awesome boat, but its super annoying for engine access. I can only really see the option of removing the whole bank temporarily for workable access to the rear of the engine. I was thinking about under the saloon seat near the heads, but might be a bit too long of a run. Thoughts? TIA
My Barbican 30 has two agm 100,s batts in the starboard cockpit locker one sitting athwatship against bulkhead the other alongside cockpit locker. As yet no engine battery but as suggested by Tranoma some time ago I'm going to fit an Odyssey, as yet place undecided. Think H30 and B30 similar locker layout

KianOG1

Visit site
My Barbican 30 has two agm 100,s batts in the starboard cockpit locker one sitting athwatship against bulkhead the other alongside cockpit locker. As yet no engine battery but as suggested by Tranoma some time ago I'm going to fit an Odyssey, as yet place undecided. Think H30 and B30 similar locker layout
That's helpful to know thanks, also the Barbican 30s are beautiful boats! Would it be possible to post a picture of your setup when you get a chance? I imagine the locker setup is the same, although I'd need to build in a battery box etc. The gas bottles are Portside so it would also be to starboard. I've been running two trad lead acids and using one predominantly for engine start so far, but will also look to build in space for a separate starter.

Gadget257

Visit site
Nor me. Gadget should fit whatever engine he is comfortable with but you can reach a point of diminishing returns, 16hp is plenty, 20hp will have some reserve, that will probably never be used, 25 even more.

Gadget, As you probably well know, all boats with props labouring in an aperture tend to have two problems (at least!) 1 Prop cavitation and related noise transmitted through the hull, which is made worse as you increase the diameter/size of the prop and 2 Pressure pulses acting directly on the rudder which can become extreme even unmanageable at high revs, particularly with two blades. Before committing I would seek out people who have actual experience of motoring the Halmatic at top theoretical hull speed and see what they say. A second and third opinion is always good.

It's tempting to imagine motoring at 6.5 kts into a full gale but most people will cut the revs right down and vector off under mainsail; much easier motion, helm and noise levels.

Thank you. Agree an engine in a gale is just a means to point higher, I have decided to go with a three blade prop accepting the loss of a few 1/10th of a kt of boat speed to counter the reasons issues you raised above.