Guy Thompson?

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
Hi, I have trawled the net, regarding this designer, who, whilst quite prolific and built some production models in earlier years, (T24,27 &T31)was also responsible for building quite a few "one offs". I just cannot find much regarding his designs, and I own one of his "one offs". (a 28') which spent much of it's time in Canada after crossing the atlantic, before returning to this country and ending up on Windermere. Does anybody know if there is any printed matter on anything about Guy and his designs maybe in book form etc. that does not appear to be on the web please? It would be a dream to find the blueprints of my boat, but thats just a dream. Just some more detailed information on his designs would be fantastic.

Jan Harber

Visit site
Guy Thompson designed around 25 one-offs (according to Lloyds Register of 1978). They include Calypso V (built by Tucker Brown in 1952) and Callisto (built by Bill Sutton at Wakering in 1955); two Calliopes (1956 and 58). I believe these were mostly designed to the RORC rule for offshore racing and were quite radical at the time, often featuring reverse sheer and the then unusual fin and skeg rudder configuration.
In the late 1960s Thompson designed the 24-footer Goosander for Dick Pitcher (a leading dinghy sailor and FD world champion) who, like Guy Thompson, sailed from Burnham on Crouch. Goosander was very successful with EAORA and this design led to the production of the T24 cruiser-racer, several of which are still sailing today.
In 1969 Thompson designed the Half Tonner Williwaw, based on the T24 concept, and this later became the T31.
There is more info about Guy Thompson on the History page of the Royal Burnham YC website and also, I think, in the book which Jan Wise wrote a few years ago about the history of the RBYC or possibly the history of EAORA...

sideshowbob

Visit site
I think your best bet is to reach out to the Royal Burnham Yacht Club. As Jan says, the website seems to have the only solid references to Guy. A shame as he was clearly a major talent in his time.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
Doing some more research regarding Guy Thompson and discovered that he was an employee of the bank of England around the 50's/60's. Whilst there, he found an unused cellar room and started spending some of his "working" time in there designing Yachts for racing etc.
After his retirement, they discovered this room full of his designs and drawings. I have emailed the bank of England museum to see if there is still anything left of this story, or if all these plans went straight into a skip. Shame if they did, but you never know.