Gunwale Cover

Fire99

Visit site
Howdo gang,

I'm struggling to describe this too well but I need to put new cover material over where my side steps hook on to the gunwales on my Trader. Originally there appeared to be a couple of thin strips of material but I've seen others fit an entire piece of (what looks like) Treadmaster over the whole section. The gunwales are 80mm thick and the rail opening is 1000mm wide.
Now I don't want to be too 'sticky' with my money but Treadmaster looks very expensive for a bit of patterned plastic that is basically just going to protect the gunwale from the steps and rogue feet, so an recommendations on a suitable alternative?

Many thanks..

Tranona

Visit site
Treadmaster is a bit more than "patterned plastic". it costs money because it does the job and if correctly glued down will last indefinitely in your application. A cheaper alternative would be to mask the area off and paint with deck paint which is non slip. However that will need renewing from time to time, but a tin of Interdeck will last a lifetime.

Fire99

Visit site
Treadmaster is a bit more than "patterned plastic". it costs money because it does the job and if correctly glued down will last indefinitely in your application. A cheaper alternative would be to mask the area off and paint with deck paint which is non slip. However that will need renewing from time to time, but a tin of Interdeck will last a lifetime.
I was being a touch tongue in cheek with the "patterned plastic" comment but i've seen it in the flesh (or plastic) and it is a blend of nitrile rubber and PVC, and it is patterned, so I'm not too far off track.

But It is very expensive for the quantities involved and I don't like being glued (excuse the pun) to THE brand if there are other competitors.

Tranona

Visit site
As with everything in life, and particularly boats you have to pay for things that do the job!. AFAIK there is no alternative stick on material and the alternative I suggested is effective and "cheap".

Fire99

Visit site
Well I've taken the plunge and gone with the Treadmaster. I found it for sale for a few less pennies. Does anyone have any fitting experience? Is epoxy the usual route for attaching to the gunwale?