Guernsey & Jersey

Richard.C

Visit site
It's been many years since I was last in St Peter Port or St Helier on my dad's sailing boat but visiting both places is on the list of things to do in my own boat.

A couple of questions for those who visit regularly:

1. Would be a weeks holiday and was thinking to maybe go direct to St Helier first then to Guernsey on the way back. Looks to be around 105Nm from Lymington, is there anything specifically tricky to watch out for on the run down the French coast? Going around west coast of Jersey looks longer but simpler, safest bet?

2. We have a 7 month old Labrador, which I understand we are okay to bring without a pet passport as long as we are coming direct to/from the UK, can anyone confirm how simple this works in practice?

3. I remember a lot of rafting in Victoria marina although we occasionally got allocated a finger berth, at the time we were regular's and knew some of the staff quite well, circa 25+ yrs ago. I really want to avoid rafting, I can't imagine trying to carry our Lab across boats, would be a disaster waiting happen. Are there any decent options in Jersey and Guernsey for marina berths without rafting? The boat LOA is approx. 13.5m.
I'm not averse to Beaucette (will probably want to visit anyway) instead of St Peter Port but would probably look to rent a car so we could explore from there, assuming rental car availability up there.

Weather permitting we may look to make the trip around the second week of July, any insights for dog friendly moorings welcome.

Richard

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
It's been many years since I was last in St Peter Port or St Helier on my dad's sailing boat but visiting both places is on the list of things to do in my own boat.

A couple of questions for those who visit regularly:

1. Would be a weeks holiday and was thinking to maybe go direct to St Helier first then to Guernsey on the way back. Looks to be around 105Nm from Lymington, is there anything specifically tricky to watch out for on the run down the French coast? Going around west coast of Jersey looks longer but simpler, safest bet?

2. We have a 7 month old Labrador, which I understand we are okay to bring without a pet passport as long as we are coming direct to/from the UK, can anyone confirm how simple this works in practice?

3. I remember a lot of rafting in Victoria marina although we occasionally got allocated a finger berth, at the time we were regular's and knew some of the staff quite well, circa 25+ yrs ago. I really want to avoid rafting, I can't imagine trying to carry our Lab across boats, would be a disaster waiting happen. Are there any decent options in Jersey and Guernsey for marina berths without rafting? The boat LOA is approx. 13.5m.
I'm not averse to Beaucette (will probably want to visit anyway) instead of St Peter Port but would probably look to rent a car so we could explore from there, assuming rental car availability up there.

Weather permitting we may look to make the trip around the second week of July, any insights for dog friendly moorings welcome.

Richard

I can only add to buy your fuel from ST Sampson’s by tanker .

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Beaucette is dog friendly, Victoria marina now allow dogs on board in the marina proper, but you may have to raft. Last time we were in St Helier we had to stay on the waiting pontoon, which was ok with power and water, but before boats were permitted to enter the marina there could be rafts ofup to 12 boats or more alongside you! Maybe it’s different now, best to phone and check.

Richard.C

Visit site
Beaucette is dog friendly, Victoria marina now allow dogs on board in the marina proper, but you may have to raft. Last time we were in St Helier we had to stay on the waiting pontoon, which was ok with power and water, but before boats were permitted to enter the marina there could be rafts ofup to 12 boats or more alongside you! Maybe it’s different now, best to phone and check.

Thanks LJS

guernseyman

Visit site
You should be met near the the Guernsey harbour entrance by a Marina Dory. The Swan pontoons outside are now walk-ashore, but some are in water which shallows at low tide.
Don't visit France if you want to land your dog in CI.
You need permission to lie alongside a pontoon or quay if you have a dog on board.

Last edited:

Solent Sailor

Visit site
We've taken our dogs to Guernsey this year already - one of our favourite places and we'll be back there again in August. Not a problem at all (providing you haven't been to France first). If the marina officials give you your forms (as they should) rather than the customs men, note down that you are carrying dogs - there is a box in the bottom right corner, as I recall, which is suitable. Rafting only really likely in the summer hols in my experience.

Convenient beach just to the south of the Slaughterhouse for evening sand watering activities. Buses take dogs too and are cheap - easy way to get around the island, you really don't need a car, but they are easily hired if you do want one.

gjgm

Visit site
So I gets 10k visitors a year ,they tell me.In mid summer I think you migjt be lucky if you are not rather very deep but I guess phone HM and see what your options are.
If wind is NE then there is a foul overalls in the middle of a Lttle Russel, wind over tide.
Go via outer Casquettes SPP.UK
Fuel..well depends how much you need..SPP was 71p a month or so ago...up to you if booking,tides,losing your berth etc merits the saving!
There is a fuel pontoon 100 metres on the right before the sill into ST Hellier...
West side of Gsy is fine cliff walking but too much for a young pup...north is alot flatter
Buses from SPP run round the island...a pound,I think, if you don't want to use a car. Not alot inland afaik.
Neither island has..err..developed much!

Solent Sailor

Visit site
SPP was 71p a month or so ago...up to you if booking,tides,losing your berth etc merits the saving!

True, but St Sampson is less than 60 (we were paying 55p/l last summer). That's a considerable saving and you have to pass the place if you are going up or down the Little Russell. They are very accomodating, you just need to remember to call and book a slot.

There is a fuel pontoon 100 metres on the right before the sill into ST Hellier...

But it will always be more expensive that Rubis at St Sampson because Jersey taxes are higher. Last summer it was 10p/l more and probably still is.

We tend to fill up with 1500-2000 litres at a time - so its a worth thinking about where you go.

Keith-i

Visit site
Approaching St Helier from west is easier and a little shorter than east when coming from the north. Can pass either east or west of Alderney but east side is more dependent on tide direction and wind for speed and comfort of passage.

gjgm

Visit site
True, but St Sampson is less than 60 (we were paying 55p/l last summer). That's a considerable saving and you have to pass the place if you are going up or down the Little Russell. They are very accomodating, you just need to remember to call and book a slot.

But it will always be more expensive that Rubis at St Sampson because Jersey taxes are higher. Last summer it was 10p/l more and probably still is.

We tend to fill up with 1500-2000 litres at a time - so its a worth thinking about where you go.
Sure,I wasn't recommending one place or another,merely mentioning options as I never seem to arrive at the cheapest place with almost empty tanks!

Richard.C

Visit site
Heading down to the boat today and I think we have the beginnings of a plan.

Raining in Lincoln at the moment so will be great to get away.

Assuming no change to the current forecast we'll be up early tomorrow morning and will head for Beaucette. Conditions look good so should hopefully maintain 20-24 knots and get there in 4-4.5 hrs.

Will see how we feel during the week, we may drop down to St Peter Port if it's not busy or head down to St Helier.

Anyway it's time to burn some diesel.

Richard.C

Visit site
It was a good day to cross the channel, a little over 90 miles in 4 hrs.

Nicely tucked up in Beaucette, certainly one of the most peaceful marinas you can stay at.