GT 35

doris

Visit site
According to one of the review I saw (not YM, so either PBO or perhaps ST), the first GT35 belonged to the owner of Windboats. If it was a genuine purchase, and not a disguised demonstrator, I too am baffled at why it would be for sale so soon. Perhaps the OP could tell us?

It's news to me that it's for sale. I am surprised that it was very individually specked if was to be immediately sold.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It's news to me that it's for sale. I am surprised that it was very individually specked if was to be immediately sold.

Thanks. I wondered if you'd maybe had a trial sail as a potential purchaser. The fairly spartan interior design would make sense to me if it was intended as a demonstrator.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It's economy of scale. Laser precision too.

How dare you. My posts are all hand crafted by a team of genial craftsmen called "Pop", with half-moon glasses and a host of comforting stories about the old days. No mass produced rubbish here. more hidden

doris

Visit site

Having had a quiet enquire I gather that the owner wants to step to a GT 40 ( get some Ferrari comparisons in there!). In fact his real intention is to ultimately own a GT45, liking what he sees, and he is simply helping the company get to the point where a GT45 can be delivered.
Now some positive input on fora like this might not be a bad idea.

On another note one poster made a comment about top designers for the Rolex, Ferrari etc brands. IMHO Stephen Jones is one of the very top designers with a pedigree to back it up, both racing and cruising. (Sorry Mr Jones, no canine analogy intended)

pvb

Visit site
Having had a quiet enquire I gather that the owner wants to step to a GT 40 ( get some Ferrari comparisons in there!). In fact his real intention is to ultimately own a GT45, liking what he sees, and he is simply helping the company get to the point where a GT45 can be delivered.

That's interesting. GT35-01 is called "Astraeus 2" and has been raced at West Mersea this season. The owner is listed as "T James". The owner of Windboats (who produce the GT35) is Trevor James. Some coincidences there...

Fiskhardo Ho!

Visit site
That's interesting. GT35-01 is called "Astraeus 2" and has been raced at West Mersea this season. The owner is listed as "T James". The owner of Windboats (who produce the GT35) is Trevor James. Some coincidences there...

Sounds like a reasonably sensible commercial arrangement - the owner of the yard buys the first boat to get the work into the yard.

dom

Visit site
...I gather that the owner wants to step to a GT 40 ( get some Ferrari comparisons in there!). In fact his real intention is to ultimately own a GT45, liking what he sees, and he is simply helping the company get to the point where a GT45 can be delivered.

To be honest I smell a rat in here somewhere. If he really is the beneficial owner then he's going to be taking some very expensive steps up the GT ladder! Am I right in thinking that he's set to lose £80K+ on his new 35 alone?

sailorman

Visit site
To be honest I smell a rat in here somewhere. If he really is the beneficial owner then he's going to be taking some very expensive steps up the GT ladder! Am I right in thinking that he's set to lose £80K+ on his new 35 alone?
Buy @ cost inc vat then his chattel, to sell on income tax free

Last edited:
Visit site

On another note one poster made a comment about top designers for the Rolex, Ferrari etc brands. IMHO Stephen Jones is one of the very top designers with a pedigree to back it up, both racing and cruising. (Sorry Mr Jones, no canine analogy intended)

He's top flight, always thought the starlight 46 and SJ320 had cracking lines, now if he can get this 45 to have more than a passing resemblance to the Barracuda then i'm on side but if its another dumpy looking white blob then it'll be a no from me.

Tranona

Visit site
Buy @ cost inc vat then his chattel, to sell on tax free

No he can't.

The price quoted is without VAT so the buyer will pay 20% on whatever basic price they agree. If it sells for the asking price to a private buyer who does not export it he will pay £322,000 or so for the privilege. Suspect the boat belongs to Windboats and is on the books as either work in progress or "demonstrator". If it belonged to the individual personally, rather than a business asset, he would have to pay VAT. If he is using it personally he may be liable to benefit in kind tax, but suspect he will have organised his affairs to avoid this.

dom

Visit site
Buy @ cost inc vat then his chattel, to sell on income tax free

Oops, I assumed the £320K new price was ex-VAT.

Question for Doris though ...the pictured boat looks to have dacron sails, and not marvelous ones at that. Was the boat really racing with such a setup? Come to think of it, are those sails not a bit like fitting cheap steel rims to a supposedly hot entry into the super car space?

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
No he can't.

The price quoted is without VAT so the buyer will pay 20% on whatever basic price they agree. If it sells for the asking price to a private buyer who does not export it he will pay £322,000 or so for the privilege. Suspect the boat belongs to Windboats and is on the books as either work in progress or "demonstrator". If it belonged to the individual personally, rather than a business asset, he would have to pay VAT. If he is using it personally he may be liable to benefit in kind tax, but suspect he will have organised his affairs to avoid this.

edited #153

JumbleDuck

Visit site

It all rather calls into question some of the review gush about the smitten owner specifying his dream boat, expense no object.