Grundig Yacht Boy 80 radio

Poignard

Visit site
I ordered one of these from Amazon in February, price £49.99. Latest delivery promise [of several] was 17 June, so last Friday I cancelled the order and found this supplier; price £39.99 and it was delivered free this morning.

Seems like a good buy.

Poignard

Visit site
I don't have the know-how to advise you about that sort of thing; I only bought it to use as a broadcast receiver and alarm clock.

ps If you tell me what to look for in the instruction manual I may be able to give you an answer.

RobBrown

Visit site
I am only on the bottom rungs of technical info & understanding myself on this! SFAIA, some at least of the SSB radios can pick up the Weather fax signals and with the appropriate software in and connection to a computer, can display this info. Some I believe use a connection to or via the computer sound card, tho I guess these days there may equally be some kind of USB cable connection? (Guessing!)
I believe some of the radios with this capability are in the Yachtboy range, which is why I asked the question. I sail with a laptop with chartplotter software, so if I can get a good radio and the weather fax capability for an additional £39.99, that looks like a good bonus set up to me. Perhaps BobGosling or others can give some more explanation/clarification? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Rob

Just had a look at BobGosling's software sites and it looks as if you can get Navtex as well with the right software, which if you don't need a dedicated Navtex receiver. the NASA version of which is around the £200 mark, makes the potential benefits look even better. I would certainly like to know if its a workable solution.

Poignard

Visit site
It is classed as capable of ssb reception and has a control for tuning the bfo. If you let me know the frequencies you would need I will see if it covers them.
I must say it seems a real bargain for £40 [incl delivery].

jerryat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is classed as capable of ssb reception and has a control for tuning the bfo. If you let me know the frequencies you would need I will see if it covers them.
I must say it seems a real bargain for £40 [incl delivery].

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but a lot of these types of radios say that, but what you really need is the facility to tune in 100Hz steps or less. Often the tuning controls are just too 'coarse' for this on the cheaper sets. Hopefully the Grundig is an exception.

For example, my Sangean ATS 818 ACS (also cloned as Roberts etc) provides stunning wefaxes and RTTY even when I'm sat the lounge with an 8 foot bit of wire draped over the pelmet for an aerial.

But then it has very fine tuning and cost around £170.00 IIRC.