Grounding generators

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Son is part of a crew bringing back a dredger from Spain.

He is concerned to note the absence of a general earthing system.

If the generators (single and 3 phase) are not earthed, would not the volts relative to the hull float?

Perhaps there is an hidden or accidental leak between the outputs and hull.

I have asked him to make some measurements but he is now incommunicado.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Son is part of a crew bringing back a dredger from Spain.

He is concerned to note the absence of a general earthing system.

If the generators (single and 3 phase) are not earthed, would not the volts relative to the hull float?

Perhaps there is an hidden or accidental leak between the outputs and hull.

I have asked him to make some measurements but he is now incommunicado.

I was advise by FP not to Earth the generator to the boat

status

Visit site
If the genny is not connected to the hull there will be no pd as there is no circuit, there can only be a pd across the conductors of the genny?

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com

My hazy recollection of my electrical machines lectures is that three-phase can be either star (which has an obvious earth point) or delta (which doesn't).

In any case there is another potential earthing point at the consuming devices. Note that in UK domestic installations the earth is part of the safety system and consumers do not earth the neutral line...

Mike.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
3 phase generators produce 230 v between star and any phase and 420 volts between phases.

Consumer protection nowadays relies on the current out (L) equalling current in (N). Any difference will cause the breaker to trip. If there is a difference, it is due to current out finding a different route back. If the generator output is not earthed it could well balance out and not detect the difference.

lw395

Visit site
Some electrical systems float completely.
It means a fault to earth at any one point is not a problem.
E.g. if you accidentally earth the live, no current flows, you just force the Neutral 230V away from earth. 2 simultaneous faults would be messy though.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Some electrical systems float completely.
It means a fault to earth at any one point is not a problem.
E.g. if you accidentally earth the live, no current flows, you just force the Neutral 230V away from earth. 2 simultaneous faults would be messy though.

………if you accidentally earth the live - perhaps through yourself?!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
IMHO when you are looking at "grounding " generators there are 2 things you need to consider

1) is the grounding of the frame of the generator. That is to ensure that the frame of the generator does not get to a voltage above the grounding point so the frame is safe to touch.

2) and more important is to detect any current leakage between the line voltage and a potential point that a person can come into contact with.

This diagram gives one method of doing that.

808ecm13fig1.gif

This also gives some more infomation

http://www.ecmweb.com/content/monitor-ground-fault-leakage-currents

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
IMHO when you are looking at "grounding " generators there are 2 things you need to consider

1) is the grounding of the frame of the generator. That is to ensure that the frame of the generator does not get to a voltage above the grounding point so the frame is safe to touch.

2) and more important is to detect any current leakage between the line voltage and a potential point that a person can come into contact with.

This diagram gives one method of doing that.

808ecm13fig1.gif

This also gives some more infomation

http://www.ecmweb.com/content/monitor-ground-fault-leakage-currents

That was what I thought and recommended. Unfortunately, he is out of contact now, en route for the UK (with a 3 foot freeboard!).

I trust he took my advice.

lw395

Visit site
………if you accidentally earth the live - perhaps through yourself?!

Indeed.
I worked for a while in a high voltage lab where very little was earthed.
You could touch live circuits with one hand and all you would feel was a tiny current due to capacitance completing the circuit.
If you touched two different parts of the circuit you were either fried or fired.

The point is, there are several ways to not kill people with electricity.
The one we are used to is having earth bonded and neutral similar to earth.
Other systems can be better, but you have to understand the system and apply it properly.
You cannot randomly mix and match based on a limited understanding.

I'm sure there are lots of regulations that apply to ships, demanding what systems are used, but that is not my field.