Grinding out seacocks

G

I have to replace a couple of seacocks. After 15 years the screw threads are well seized so I guess I'll have to grind off the outside skin fitting.

Anyone know how to do it without damaging the hull and gel coat??

Thanks.

G

I have found the best way is to use the grinding disc on edge rather like a drill and grind at the inside corner, turning gradually to remove all of the internal corner of the hole. It is easy then to just see when the outer part is down to the grp without causing any damage. Carefull not to create excess heat. Use a large drift the size of the stub just to finally clear the old seacock remains through to the inside. John Lilley

G

Just turn them harder....

... the studs will shear clean off, mine did.

G

You might be able to drill the heads off the bolts from the outside. Centre-punch the middle of the bolt (presumably it has -or used to have, a screwdriver slot across it and then drill into it a little way with a drill a tiny bit bigger than the shank diameter. The head should come off very easily (mine just turned to powder). You can then punchthe shank back into the boat through the hole (unless they've been glassed-over inside the hull!)

G

Carefull use of hot air gun, stillson and club hammer has always worked for me - 30 year old boat, 5 seized gate valves, 2 blakes seacocks. good luck.

G

Hi Trevor!

Tip of the year? If you want to remove the skin fitting and the sea cock, almost complete. Plug the skin fitting with a tapered piece of hard wood(broom handle or similar)so it is securley blocked. "Center punch" the centre of the discharge pipe and drill the outside flange off the sea cock with a hole saw/cutter making sure not to enlarge the hole in the hull. Use a hole saw the same size as the outside of the skin fitting discharge/suction pipe. Start gently so as not to disfigure the centre hole (easily done as it is in wood)having scored the flange where you want it to cut press harder and of copurse stop when the flange falls off. If you make a pigs ear of the job you can always fit a slightly larger skin fitting and sea cock with a reducer.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Rob