Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hey Vic,

My contact is a serious cruiser with good business sense and lawyers; his comments to me seem bonafide. But as you say, they are scaring lots of boats away... good old Greek bureaucracy. Cheers from NZ

JP

Hi JP
Not sure why I called you Mike haha too much of Maltese Vino .
Good to hear your well and down under .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
13 days to go and no more contact from Greeks.
No update made to FAQs as promised so confusion allround on when you 're out of Use.

No sign of the online reg and payment system yet either.....

Bets are on a further delay....

jordanbasset

Visit site
No update made to FAQs as promised so confusion allround on when you 're out of Use.

Does seem that way, I cannot think they would cope with everyone trying to pay the tax on the 9th May

Tony Cross

Visit site

Does seem that way, I cannot think they would cope with everyone trying to pay the tax on the 9th May

It's an election year here too, so the longer the delay the less likely it is to start (at least in this form).

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I am due to fly back Wednesday, any more news on this?
Just don't worry. You will NOT be fined and will be able to back pay when you return.

Just go home, forget the tax and deal with it on your return.

Still no news on the payment system. I am sure another delay will be announced soon. Traditionally delays are announced at the last minute..... So probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Just don't worry. You will NOT be fined and will be able to back pay when you return.

Just go home, forget the tax and deal with it on your return.

Still no news on the payment system. I am sure another delay will be announced soon. Traditionally delays are announced at the last minute..... So probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sorry for any confusion, I meant fly back to Greece on Wednesday, appreciate the info though

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The Coastguards in Porto Rafti have had 10 new high speed ribs delivered last week.
Still no mention of Tax through.

There is a great deal of patrol activity in RIBs. We were questioned by two coastguards in a RIB after leaving Fourni and passing around the NE end of Ikaria. Later we were very obviously observed by a low flying helicopter. This is a long way from likely migrant routes.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
There is a great deal of patrol activity in RIBs. We were questioned by two coastguards in a RIB after leaving Fourni and passing around the NE end of Ikaria. Later we were very obviously observed by a low flying helicopter. This is a long way from likely migrant routes.
So any idea why so many? Surely they can't have spent the entire years projected takings of the tax on enforcement?

It's all Greek to me.

For now I think it's time to forget about the tax and just go sailing. If it comes in you can always back pay... This year....

sailaboutvic

Visit site
So any idea why so many? Surely they can't have spent the entire years projected takings of the tax on enforcement?

It's all Greek to me.

For now I think it's time to forget about the tax and just go sailing. If it comes in you can always back pay... This year....

Chris I think most of us have done that , I surround by six boat who would normally be in Greece now instead we all on valcano and Lipria , everyone is fed up to the hight teeth with the Greeks I think what most are fed up with is they have no idea what's going on and when they try to find out to keep them safe from being fine rather then help it's more threats of fines .
For us who have had many years of dealing with the Greek PP know to take what ever they say with a pinch of salt but to newcomers they find all these threats of fines very intimidating and rather just go else where .
Greece and I have parted for now until some thing is sorted .
Unlike some , Greece need me more then. Need Greece .

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris I think most of us have done that , I surround by six boat who would normally be in Greece now instead we all on valcano and Lipria , everyone is fed up to the hight teeth with the Greeks I think what most are fed up with is they have no idea what's going on and when they try to find out to keep them safe from being fine rather then help it's more threats of fines .
For us who have had many years of dealing with the Greek PP know to take what ever they say with a pinch of salt but to newcomers they find all these threats of fines very intimidating and rather just go else where .

Just spent a week up on the west coast of Scotland in wonderful weather. Very cheap too.
Beginning to think seriously about coming back.......

I suspect a bit of sunshine in Greece will persuade me otherwise.

As for the Greeks I am sure Mrs May is in charge there.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site

I appreciate your view Vic, and of those who agree with you. I happen to know that all members of the Greek Marina Association are going to closely monitor their occupancy this year to see whether the TEPAH is affecting their businesses. Hopefully I can get a look at that this time next year and I'll report back with some real numbers.

I dare say you might well argue (rightly I expect) that it's those living on the hook and rarely using marinas who are leaving because of the tax. If that turns out to be the case, and there is little change in marina numbers (as I suspect) then the Greek government won't be too bothered.

nortada

Visit site
Just spent a week up on the west coast of Scotland in wonderful weather. Very cheap too.
Beginning to think seriously about coming back.......

As for the Greeks I am sure Mrs May is in charge there.

Greece or Scotland! Either, or❓

Why not pick a third option where the sun regularly shines❓

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

Good luck with that. It's the coldest, cloudiest start to a Greek season we can remember. Both wearing sweaters most of the day and running the heating frequently, first time it has even been on for five years or more. Current forecast SE 8-9 in Central Aegean. Heavy rain overnight, briefly.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Good luck with that. It's the coldest, cloudiest start to a Greek season we can remember. Both wearing sweaters most of the day and running the heating frequently, first time it has even been on for five years or more. Current forecast SE 8-9 in Central Aegean. Heavy rain overnight, briefly.

I agree, on Evia Karestos , Blowing a good 7 now increasing later, rained most of yesterday.