Grease

wrr

Visit site
Marine greases tend to contain calcium sulphonate rather than lithium salts, as calcium-based greases are regarded as having better water resistance and anticorrosive properties while lithium based greases have better thermal stability. Interestingly, some popular green marine greases smell strongly of phenol.

geem

Visit site
Grease is the word...

Isn’t it usually white lithium grease for marine use ?
Not necessarily. Lithium in grease can be a problem. Lithium grease is not compatible with salt water. It hardens.
Our rudder shaft uses a phosphor bronze bearing. It has a grease gun permanently plumbed in to the bearing. I used lithium marine grease and the rudder seized. I thought it was going to be a rudder off solution.
A chance discussion with and engineer on a big motor yacht and he explained to me about lithium and salt water. He suggested a particular grease they they used. He said it was compatible with existing grease and would likely wash out the hard lithium grease. It worked. The rudder is now lighter on the wheel than it has been for years. I have just order two more tubes of proper waterproof grease.
If you are not using the grease in contact with salt water, it may be OK for the application

Last edited:

B27

Visit site
I have 3 sorts of grease on my boat:
Stern tube Grease.
Winch grease
clear silicone teflon grease, which is used very sparingly on stainless/alloy interfaces like the gooseneck, a few sheave bearings etc.

dankilb

Visit site
I bought some ‘marine’ moly(bdenum) grease a while back it’s been so good I’ve left it in the gun and used it for most things (metal on metal). Even the winches had a light smear during service. I haven’t felt the need to switch back to a white grease.

Refueler

Visit site
For stern seals which have greasers, trailer bearings etc - you should use Waterproof grease ....

As a stop-gap one cruise - I used ordinary car bearing grease in my stern seal - no chandlers where I was ... result was increased use of the greaser due increased water drip ... grease thrown around bilge area ...
Once I obtained another tub of waterproof - a) the amount needed via greaser was back to normal ... water drip back to normal ... and it was not thrown around the bilge area !