Gosport

prr

Visit site
Yes Gosport is a dump.

Head for Albert Road in Southsea. You can have a good night out here, even with taxi fares you'll get more for your money than at the Gun Wharf. Also good food at 'The Dophin' Broard St, Old Portsmouth. Which claims to be Portsmouths oldest pub....

Sandyman

Visit site
I hear that the restaurant/bar/cafe in Premier's Gosport Marina is now no better than its previous incarnations and is to be avoided.

Don't know where you heard that, but you're wrong. BTW its called The Boat House Cafe.

The Great Wall is not the place it used to be. If they are busy they now give you a two hours slot, then refuse to serve you anymore, present the bill and expect you to vacate.

For those ever intent on visiting the Crew Mess (opposite the entrance to Premier Marina) then I hope you like the smell of rancid cooking fat. A typical greasy spoon.

Yacht Breeze

Visit site
Gosport Cafe

Oh how I wish I were wrong because those who moor at Premier's Gosport Marina deserve better but, alas, I fear the reports of poor food and worse service are true.

We had dinner with two long-term berth holders last week who reported that despite an initial improvement things have slipped back to the abysmal standards of the past.

Moral: Gosport is a great place to moor the boat but take your appetite elsewhere.

xcw

Visit site
I went to the Boat House Cafe at the end of last season and must admit to being disappointed. Very friendly and a nice ambiance but they had run out of a couple of things on the already limited menu so I had the "homemade" burger. Not sure whose home it was made in but it certainly wasn't The Boat House - more likely came off Mr Bookers production line. How difficult is it really to make a burger??? (even I can do it!!). I really think these places should stick to a limited menu of good simple fare and not live out of the freezer and deep fat fryer. Disappointing.

The Crew Mess is a greasy spoon but serves a good breakfast. It will be interesting what they make of the Lightship.

Sandyman

Visit site
Must say I'm surprised to hear the comments about the Boat House Cafe. We live here & from what we hear folks seem to enjoy eating there.

wjf

Visit site
The smell of frying and old fat every time you walk past is enough to put anyone off. I am glad that our boat is moored on the far side of the marina!!