Gosport Marina - 30 mains leads stolen

Talulah

Visit site
Apparently between 30 and 80 mains leads were stolen off boats from Gosport Marina over the weekend.
Our sister boat 'Geronimo' (which was on the hard in the car park) had their mains lead cut and removed.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
So what security exists for electrical leads where peeps berth?
Here they are are freely unpluggable, even transferable to another boat while still on your meter! By comparison, at Hamble Point no-one uses the safety latches provided.
Daily moorings checks - really? - didn't stop my boat being unplugged and moved 60 ft, leaving it unheated in frosty weather. The resulting panic was heard on the Motorboat Forum but didn't penetrate the upper echelons of management.
IMHO the provision of security locks is an issue for berth holders' associations everywhere to pursue.
In contrast, at a nearby yard the 240V supplies need individual padlocks at the metered source - foolproof? Only if duplicate keys weren't kept in a box which anyone can access. So after 6 weeks ashore someone had run up over 900 units on my account!
(in-joke for Evadne et al . . .)

Talulah

Visit site
Last weekend I saw a member of staff walking around with a brand new mains lead. I wondered if Premier were replacing stolen mains leads out of courtesy to their customers.

bobgosling

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wondered if Premier were replacing stolen mains leads out of courtesy to their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

More likely they saw a money making opportunity in selling mains leads ( expensive "Marine" ones ) to people who seemed to have misplaced theirs.

Chrissie

Visit site
I heard it was 45, they were taken from the boats that are out the water and in the carpark, in fact there are not 80 boats on the carpark. As far as I am aware they didnt get into the pontoon area.

caribbeancat

Visit site
Security, Gosport marina? You can't get the lazy buggars that work there to get up from behind their desk let alone take the long 50 yd walk to the pontoons to check that boats are OK!