Good news for non-EU flagged boats in Greece

Tony Cross

Visit site
In August 2014 the Cruising Association (CA) was made aware that Greece had unilaterally scrapped the EU-wide rules on temporary importation and substituted instead a 6 month in 12 month rule for non-EU flagged yachts. The CA immediately protested through their contacts in the Greek government that this action was illegal under EU law.

The Greek election in January 2015 interfered with this dialogue and by April 2015 when no further progress had been made, the CA lodged a formal complaint with the European Commission. The CA's case was that Greece's action was not only illegal but would seriously impact yachting tourism.

In early September 2015 the European Commission advised the CA that the Greek government had agreed to return to the EU-wide rules on temporary importation of yachts. A copy of the Greek Ministerial Directive implementing this was forwarded to the CA. The stated date for implementation was the 1st October 2015.

The second Greek election in late September 2015 occurred before the Ministerial Directive could be published in the Government Gazette and thus become law. The CA has been making repeated attempts to establish when this Ministerial Directive will be 'gazetted'. However, reports from CA members indicates that the port police in Greece are already implementing the directive so it has clearly been published in some form.

The EU-wide rules allow non-EU flagged yachts to stay in EU waters (including Greece) for up to 18 months. On application this can be extended to 24 months. The EU rules specify no minimum time that a yacht must leave EU waters before returning for another 18 months. Proof of having left EU waters may be required of course.

The change in the Greek position has been brought about solely through the actions of the CA yet the outcome benefits not just CA members but all non-EU flagged yachts (owned by a non-EU national). The CA's policy of engaging with the Greek government whilst insisting that international agreements must be observed has again produced positive results for all cruising sailors.

Tony Cross

Visit site
This doesn't affect the depka or transit log programs does it. Or the Cruising Tax? This was just to avoid paying VAT right?

Correct, it's an EU-wide system that allows non-EU residents to use non-EU flagged yachts in the EU for 18 months without paying VAT.

The TPP (the cruising tax) is not implemented, and it may never be implemented.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
We may meet again!

Hope to as well!

I don't think I have endeared myself to the Greek Ministry of Finance! I am having difficulty finding anyone who will talk to me now!

Now the elections are all passed we need to make new contacts having lost all the good ones with the first of the elections. The next thing in line that is beginning to rumble again is the Cruising tax. We need to have senior contacts in place to make sure the implementation (if it happens) won't be a nightmare.

Welsh Dragon

Visit site
Hi
I know this is an old thread so please forgive me for asking. But Im new to all this and my question is . Ok Im a Welshman living in Wales ,but if I was to buy a boat in Lets say USA. I could bring it back to the EU stay in Greece and not have to pay Tax on it ? I hope I ask this question in the right way that you may understand what I mean . Thanks Roy

macd

Visit site
Hi
I know this is an old thread so please forgive me for asking. But Im new to all this and my question is . Ok Im a Welshman living in Wales ,but if I was to buy a boat in Lets say USA. I could bring it back to the EU stay in Greece and not have to pay Tax on it ? I hope I ask this question in the right way that you may understand what I mean . Thanks Roy

Hi Roy. Afraid you're mistaken in both respects: it's not an old thread; and you couldn't evade tax in that way. VAT on a boat imported to the EU becomes due at the point of importation, i.e. the country of arrival. The concession not to pay applies only to non-EU residents, and only for a limited period.

The TPP tax mentioned in this thread is nothing to do with VAT, but more akin to a car's road tax.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Hi

The EU rules on Temporary Importation (the 18 months Transit Log etc.) only apply to non-EU residents. If an EU resident brings a non-EU flagged boat into the EU they will be given a 30-day Transit Log. On expiry of this the boat must either permanently leave the EU or be imported into an EU country and tax paid. This rule is really designed to allow EU residents who have bought a non-VAT paid boat in the EU time to export it.