Goo leaks and jelly

andrewfollett

Visit site
Hi A friend has asked me about a problem he's having with the engine on his Dufour. Its a volvo md2020 There is a white powdery/crystal like substance and a jelly like substance around the front end of his engine, covering quite a large area and seeingly to have come from some of the fresh water hoses, pumps etc (though potentially it could be from anywhere. he sent me a photo but its hard to tell exactly). He did drain and flush the sea water side with antifreeze before she was lifted for the winter but he didnt replace the old antifreeze in the freshwater side. He tells me it was last done 2 yrs ago but i suspect not!
Im guessing that this has gone past its best date and frozen? Do you think this might then have oozed out and formed these substances over the engine? If the fresh side has frozen, what are your thoughts as to prognosis?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks, Andy.

Last edited:

ianat182

Visit site
On a recent thread regarding the addition of antifreeze to the freshwater heat exchanger there was a query whether it was OK to change the antifreeze to a different spec to that recommended for the engine type.
When I did some light searching for info the information was that different types of antifreeze mixed would not be possible and that although certain engine types were to all intents identical units, only the specified Anti -freeze should be used. There was a comment that a reaction would take place if mixed - perhaps this is an instance.
Some are pink, others blue, green, and amber, and one mix was reported to have changed colour from blue to brown (possibly corrosion residue though when drained.)

I remember that 'VicS ' of these fora gave the chemical names for the different types.

ianat182