Golden Globe Race

PlankWalker

Visit site
Uku Ranmaa in One and All, has one freeze dried meal and one packet of soup left, he has just crossed the Equator. I'm guessing that if he had fish hooks left he wouldn't be in this situation. Can he get home without stopping?

PlankWalker

Visit site
Uku Ranmaa in One and All, has one freeze dried meal and one packet of soup left, he has just crossed the Equator. I'm guessing that if he had fish hooks left he wouldn't be in this situation. Can he get home without stopping?

Correction, I now understand he's got one meal and one soup per day left, so things not so bad then!

zoidberg

Visit site
Shenanigans......

Golden Globe Race

Uku Randmaa Golden Globe Race 2018 Breach of NOTICE of RACE...Weather Routing. ...72 Hour time penalty! #GGR2018

The GGR committee received today a sound recording of Radio Weather Traffic between UKU RANDMAA and a Ham radio operator. Having reviewed that communication and confirmed it's authenticity, it has been determined that UKU did receive weather routing, specifically forbidden under the GGR Notice or Race. After careful consideration and in the Spirit of the GGR, a TIME BOX penalty of 72 hours has been applied to UKU commencing at 2400hrs UTC on the 19th February 2019. UKU will need to stay South of his latitude at that time and NOT cross North of it again until the time penalty is served and then cross within 40 miles of that start position. OFFICIAL findings will be published on the 20th February. #GGR2018

I've rather lost interest in this circus.

dunedin

Visit site
This event is getting more and more bizarre. Any of the surviving boats not had a run in with the weird rules and incurred the wrath of the race director?
Vendee Globe seems much simpler and less aggro rules wise (and massively better finishers to starters ratio).

Wansworth

Visit site
Those that didn’t follow the rules they signed up for will have it on their conscience and they will know how hollow their victory is....personally sailing round the world in a small boat would be enough for me.

Mataji

Visit site
This 72 hour penalty seems ridiculous and totally unnecessary. The race has already been won. What is the point of making Uku hang about for 3 days at this stage? Who will have it on their conscience if anything untoward happens during this time?

doug748

Visit site
I lost interest some time back... is it just me that suspects that this penalty was applied just to have a close finish between these two.... Uku and the other bloke just behind him?

It always seemed a bit odd, this race. Heaving to in the middle of the atlantic in winter, as a penalty, sounds quite dotty.

Both of these racers have now been overtaken by the front runner in the Longue Route event, who has sailed his Contessa 32 magnificently.
The smallest boat in either competition, he started a month behind them.