Go faster stripes

michael_w

Visit site
I grew up in a hard school. Fenders couldn't be deployed until the last minute and had to be off the topsides as soon as the dock was cleared.

In the Orwell is seems to be quite the done thing to have a fender or three dangling at all times. Is having a full set over the side a form of snobbery? "I can afford a marina berth, and don't fall in the mud, like you plebs on moorings". Is this a strange East Coast mark of recognition, like the funny handshake mob?

Marmalade

Visit site
We started deploying fenders as we came through the Orwell Bridge yesterday (for Ipswich) - we usually stow them, although sometimes if we're going out for only an hour or two in the winter they get pulled inboard and left attached (blush)

sarabande

Visit site
as the old PBO rhyme has it...

"Dingle, dangle , dong !
I wonder what's gone wrong ?
Is it fear of a collision
That keeps them in position ?"

Cantata

Visit site
On our visits to the Orwell we do notice some local habits, but what the heck, each to his own, at least everyone's out and enjoying themselves!
We too have an anti-fender fetish. However I once delivered a boat from Dartmouth to the Solent, and discovered a fender dangling as we passed Portland Bill, and what's more it was just after we had passed the only boat we'd seen since departing. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
On leaving port I usually have a quick 'once round' the deck to check I haven't missed a rope or fender overboard.

Going into port when singlehanded I do tend to put fenders out quite early particularly if it is a new place for me. I would rather have someone look at me and think that is a bit sloppy rather than have to leave the helm at the last minute before berthing and possibly prang something! Just one thing less to worry about.

However I agree - each to his own!

Leighb

Visit site
I prefer not to have fenders over the side for any longer than necessary, but on 2 occasions recently I have missed one when bringing them in /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I am now less likely to make grumpy old yachtie remarks about others who have done the same.

Coming back to the berth SWMBO is most insistent that we have everything ready in very good time so we are all fendered rather too early for my liking.

However now that she is doing the driving coming in and out of the berth I will have more say in the timing of fender deployment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jomo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
On leaving port I usually have a quick 'once round' the deck to check I haven't missed a rope or fender overboard.

Going into port when singlehanded I do tend to put fenders out quite early particularly if it is a new place for me. I would rather have someone look at me and think that is a bit sloppy rather than have to leave the helm at the last minute before berthing and possibly prang something! Just one thing less to worry about.

However I agree - each to his own!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
As I normally am the one to helm when coming out of port, it is the crew's job to take the fenders in. It's not unusual for a fender or two to be forgotton and not noticed for up to an hour. It's embarrassing, but I don't consider it to be a keel-hauling offence. Rather a good excuse to insist on the crew buying the first round, though.