GGR 22

savageseadog

Visit site
Tomy Abalashi appears to condemn the "Race" as a Rally. I couldn't quite make out exactly what he was saying but he seems to be saying that some competitors are receiving more weather data than others.
What weather info are they actually allowed? I assume they all have barometers.
The other issue for him is that he doesn't know where the other competitors are. What is set up for that or not as the case may be? I thought the original race on which these subsequent races are based allowed HF/SW radio which would both allow position comms and weatherfax.

jlavery

Visit site
Tomy Abalashi appears to condemn the "Race" as a Rally. I couldn't quite make out exactly what he was saying but he seems to be saying that some competitors are receiving more weather data than others.
What weather info are they actually allowed? I assume they all have barometers.
The other issue for him is that he doesn't know where the other competitors are. What is set up for that or not as the case may be? I thought the original race on which these subsequent races are based allowed HF/SW radio which would both allow position comms and weatherfax.
He was intimating that he thought some sailors (Simon?) must be getting private weather forecasts. I take that as sour grapes.

He also commented that "one sailor got lucky and romped off" (paraphrasing). Well that's yacht racing. Often the rich get richer.

As to position reports by radio - I agree. As mentioned before, this was how the Whitehead worked. To keep all competitors in the dark regarding others' positions seems excessively isolating.

dunedin

Visit site
It is a weird “race” now, bearing little or no correlation to the original Golden Globe Race, which was a non stop offshore race.

From a psychological perspective, this bizarre event seems like the worst of all courses - in theory non stop, but just when RKJ et al would be getting set in their solo offshore mode, in this event the skippers have the stress and trauma of coming so close to harbour and other people, then head back out to sea again. A form of human torture, just to provide media content. The worst of both worlds!

Meanwhile the Globe40 event at least allows you to stop off at some interesting destinations on their race round the world - and just 34 minutes between first and second boats after 34 days at sea Globe40 Leg 4 Finish: Another finish full of suspense in Papeete

ridgy

Visit site
Some people questioning the course and Cape town stop

The point of the 2022 event is to follow the course of Moitessier whereas 2018 was to follow Knox Johnston hence the Cape town stop this time and the different start date.

MikeBz

Visit site
According to the YB tracker Simon Curwen has covered 718nm over the last 24 hours at an average of 45.2 knots - that’s some special weather info he is getting!

Attachments

• 70C3EBA1-82E8-4989-92AF-C54401F25FD4.jpeg
    70C3EBA1-82E8-4989-92AF-C54401F25FD4.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 5

jlavery

Visit site
Weird - measuring on the map shows sensible figures. 140 miles in 24 hours.

Meanwhile Damian's self steering has failed again. :(

zoidberg

Visit site
According to the YB tracker Simon Curwen has covered 718nm over the last 24 hours at an average of 45.2 knots - that’s some special weather info he is getting!

Whatever daft calculator is being used in Don MacIntyre's 'Live Tracker', no navigator is monitoring it. The thing has been producing nonsense for several competitors, for several days.

Ravi

Visit site
Try here:

You're welcome!

;)

Thanks for the link.

Intriguing viewing.
Abilash certainly seems to be in a bad psychological state.

He, possibly, has a valid point about the race organisers mandating weather fax as the only permitted weather info source without checking to find that that shore stations in half the world no longer provide this service.

Other than that, his complaints seem to be the frustration of bad sailing luck.

Last edited:

john_q

Visit site
Thanks for the link.

Intriguing viewing.

He, possibly, has a valid point about the race organisers mandating weather fax as the only permitted weather info source without checking to find that that shore stations in half the world no longer provide this service.

Other than that, his complaints seem to be the frustration of bad sailing luck.
And possibly the dread of heading off into the southern ocean again, it did not end too well last time

zoidberg

Visit site

I'd conjecture that stress - of prolonged sleep disturbance, of isolation, of worries about encountering severe storms again in the Southern Ocean - played a part in his uncomplimentary outburst. He's entitled to our understanding.

OTOH, he is free to procure weather info from passing ships, and the Race HQ does provide warning by HF of dangerous developments ( but likely not in good time for complete avoidance )

ridgy

Visit site
Don's latest QA discusses Tomy is detail.
And now Ertan bites the dust, just not feeling it.
I think race HQ uses only sat phone to communicate with entrants.

zoidberg

Visit site
You're both right. "So here's to you, my ramblin' boy..."

It looks like Kirsten will again be ahead of Tapio by morning. She's presently showing 7.3 knots to his 3.6 with 34 miles to make up.... that's if one believes the DTG figures in each pop-up box.

There's now only about 245 miles between Tapio, Kirsten and Abilash - who seems to have his mojo working again.

She has about 952 miles to claw back on Simon, who 'has the bit between his teeth' at present. 'Long legs' on that boat - and girl!

Last edited:

Ravi

Visit site
Uh oh...Tapio in trouble, PLB activated from liferaft
Weather conditions in his vicinity seemed relatively benign which suggests that he might have hit something.

Hopefully the conditions and the proximity of shipping sees him safe.

A pity that he is out. His boat seemed very thoughtfuly set up for the Southern ocean.

ridgy

Visit site
Must have been catastrophic, no EPIRB or Sat phone. Reminds me of the chap in the last Vendee whose boat snapped in half.
Here's hoping, looks like at least 18 hours in the raft.

Edit: He is alive, in raft with grab bag and sat phone. Boat went down in 5 minutes.

Last edited: