getting pounds while in the uk

lindsay

Visit site
I have been out of the Uk for several decades and do not have a Uk bank account. I am looking for a cash or debit card that would be in gbp, fed from an "overseas" bank, but not attached to it for security reasons, tomorrowhat I can use when in tbe UK for short periods

I contacted several cash card sources when last in the UK but all stated tbey could not issue a card for use in sterling in the country, only in euros or whatever for use outside.

Anyone got a SIMPLE solution?

Thanks

MoodySabre

Visit site
When I go abroad I use a UK debit card in a cash machine and it dispenses local currency and takes it from my UK bank account. Why wouldn't an overseas card used in the UK give you sterling - that's all that is in cash points!

hartcjhart

Visit site
I take it you do not have a UK address
there is a way BUT it is not simple
first you have to know someone in the UK that you trust,
they then aplly for this
http://contis.dev.yetti.co.uk/

they issue 2 cards one for you one for friend
then you have to transfer funds into your friends bank from your bank then they 'load' the card with that
the card is loaded with GBP

jordanbasset

Visit site
Moody Sabres post above seems the obvious answer. Friends of ours who visit the UK do it that way. It is as safe as using your debit card in any ATM, whether in the UK or abroad. You would need to check with your own Bank to see the charges but it is normally pretty cost effective.

Last edited:

hartcjhart

Visit site
Moody Sabres post above seems the obvious answer. Friends of ours who visit the UK do it that way. It is as safe as using your debit card in any ATM, whether in the UK or abroad. You would need to check with your own Bank to see the charges but it is normally pretty cost effective.
thing is the OP said he didnt want it linked to his main account so it rules out a card from that

lindsay

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. Nothing dodgy or untoward about my enquiry. Have bank in euroland in euros, with normal credit cards. When in the UK I currently use these cards, but each transaction is converted back from pounds to euros, with resulting currency loss each and every time and am looking for a solution where I can load it up in one go, with a modest amount in gbp, use it in the UK, and not worry too much about the potential maximum loss should I be victim of a card scam, which has happened 3 times in 18 years. Yes, I got the money back eventually, but it took several weeks to sort out each time with telephone calls, police certificates and paperwork. At a rough guess, some 80 hours or more of pure admin chores.

I live as a permanent liveaboard in the Mediterranean and sometimes go for weeks without checking status of bank or cards. One of the reasons I continue this lifestyle into old age is to keep admin issues to an absolute minimum and spend as much time as possible on enjoying the relative freedom the boat.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Thanks for all the suggestions. Nothing dodgy or untoward about my enquiry. Have bank in euroland in euros, with normal credit cards. When in the UK I currently use these cards, but each transaction is converted back from pounds to euros, with resulting currency loss each and every time and am looking for a solution where I can load it up in one go, with a modest amount in gbp, use it in the UK, and not worry too much about the potential maximum loss should I be victim of a card scam, which has happened 3 times in 18 years. Yes, I got the money back eventually, but it took several weeks to sort out each time with telephone calls, police certificates and paperwork. At a rough guess, some 80 hours or more of pure admin chores.

I live as a permanent liveaboard in the Mediterranean and sometimes go for weeks without checking status of bank or cards. One of the reasons I continue this lifestyle into old age is to keep admin issues to an absolute minimum and spend as much time as possible on enjoying the relative freedom the boat.

Not accusing you of being dodgy but the banking laws are, as usual, almost guaranteed to cause as much hassle to the honest man-in-the-street as possible whilst acheiving no really meaningfully obstacle to real crooks.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Not accusing you of being dodgy but the banking laws are, as usual, almost guaranteed to cause as much hassle to the honest man-in-the-street as possible whilst acheiving no really meaningfully obstacle to real crooks.
Bank laws in the UK are the worst ever , even after passing X amount of security question they seen can't manage to give you information you ask for , has for opening an account , even us Brits have problem so as an out sider If I was you I wouldn't bother trying . You can walk into a bank in Greece , Turkey Holland and god know how many different country with an passport and an address and they open an account in the UK they want the ins and out of a duck bum .

hartcjhart

Visit site

then it would seem my suggestion is the way to go because the risk of fraudulent loss is only ever the ammount you have loaded onto the card,I have one for 'online ourchases and load the ammount that I want to spend for that transaction,so when its gone its gone,fraudsters cannot get anything from it
sadly amex/diners have their limitations

Last edited: