Getting enough use t his season?

JeremyF

Visit site
In cold economic terms its always difficult to justify an expensive lump of plastic, with huge parking charges, for the number of days on board.

What indicators do you use that you are getting decent use out of the boat? For me it was a comment from my wife this morning. 'Did you know that last night you tried to get out of the bed through the headboard, as if you were getting out the forward berth'

Good sign I think!

Jeremy Flynn

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Every weekend since I bought her in June .... plus a 10 day cruise..... probably sailed 500 miles over last 3 months..... average of around 5nm per calendar day (if only). Compare with the sums for 12 weekends of chartering plus the cruise and I reckon I'm getting good value per foor of fibreglass!

iangrant

Visit site
and expensive and painful -

It can be used though - when you get the "HOW MUCH?".

From a safe distance I've muttered "cheaper than you dear"

Ian

pkb

Visit site
I never do that calculation. We've had a boat for 13 years and can't imagine life without boating playing a large part in it. The emotional cost of not having a boat would probably be immeasurably greater than the financial cost of owning one.

Peter

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: I look at this way....

Last year park & launch for my First 211 plus visitor berth fees for week-ends and holidays + winter storage cost me aprox £1000. Damage to boat and trailor, from the monkeys who do it, aprox value £300, stress costs - who knows!

A year on the marina for the same boat, £1,600. Worth every penny of the difference.

But, have flogged the boat last week so (possible) empty berth for 6 months, if I go for a new build boat, so now looks expensive. However good price achieved for boat and discounts on next will pay for the berth for a year or two. Will miss not too many remaining weekends because of the distance and weather/light, could only go with 211 when weather was good and it was light.

In the future, berth will cost aprox £2k but we prefer to have this and forego the "foreign holiday" (thrown together with lots of folk I don't know or possibly like!) which with 2 kids is way over that for anywhere decent, so all in all not bad value, and they all love it!!

Joe_Cole

Visit site
If you tried to get out of bed through the headboard I'ld be fascinated to know where you went to have a pee!

Joe

G

Re: Could it be the onset of maturity? NM

I have 3 boats ..... each one gets about a total of a months use per year .....

No wonder I'm 'skint'

Poor but happy !!!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: To be honest

If it were a matter of pounds shillings and pence. none of us would do it.
Noone takes to the water to save money.

...It was like that when i found it!