Getting Anti Fouling out of Hair and clothes

Hannah B

Visit site
Hi folks, desperately in need of some help! Last weekend my boyfriend were hard at work scrubbing the keel of a friends boat with wet and dry, soapy water to get the anti fouling off, ready for a new coat. Naturally our overalls and hair were covered in the stuff. not realising how it would affect us, our overalls are badly stained - not that it's a major issue! But I cannot for the life of me get the stuff out of my hair. I have used talc, fairy liquid and copiuos amounts of normal shampoo, yet the top of my head looks like it's been dipped in a chip pan! Does anyone have any practical advice for getting this stuff out of your hair? Short of shaving my head!

Next time I will wear a hat!

Rather desperate!

Halo

Visit site
Hi Hannah
The only thing that seems to work is the No3 thinners that they sell with the antifoul. The trouble is this is pretty nasty stuff. perosnally I have resorted to the scissors but have used the thinners to get it off my specs
cheers
Martin

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I know of nothing that will quickly remove AF. I ruined my favorite cord trousers and tried all sorts on them, turps, thinners, paint stripper etc with no success. Wouldn't use paint stripper on your head though! At least your hair will grow so you can eventually cut it off - not the same with my cords.

VicS

Visit site
If its only the result of scrubbing the boat with water, as opposed to antifouling paint proper, I have always found it washes off easily enough!

AF paint itself would be a problem as it would be very inadvisable to use thinners.

If all else fails, a trip to the hairdressers. Maybe they have a better shampoo, maybe you'll have to have it dyed.

TSB240

Visit site
Respect Hannah!

and you are up for repeating the job next year.

I would love a partner that liked getting down and dirty on my boat.;)

Looks like its a blue rinse:) or a shave:eek:

Go on you know you want to share a picture with us on here:rolleyes:

I reckon you have a guzillion brownie points and he ows you big time.

Reactions: RJJ

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
from experience 'Head and shoulders' is the better of the shampoos to use to shift most things when 'fresh' but probably way too late now, it certainly seems the stronger shampoo in salt water
Putting thinners in your hair could be a bit risky to your scalp so take care.
Perhaps call in on your hairdresser to see if they can help but they usually want you to sign a 'waver' to discount them from being liable.

Monique

Visit site
Note to Hannah...

Next year get a full throw away which includes head cover. Then use a face mask... a good one.

A mate has a yard and he forces all his staff into these...:D

Chrissie

Visit site
I have this problem every year :) (very messy painter) You need to use an oily product,
what Ive found to work are these, which ever one you have to hand
WD 40
Cooking oil
butter
conditioner
or moisturiser

apply thickly and leave for at least long enough to have a cup of tea, then wash out in a warm bath.
Works on oil paint too.

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Should you decide to use any kind of solvent on your hair (not that I'm recommending it ...), get someone else to apply it, and keep your face higher than your wet hair - essential.

Many years ago I got some waterproofing compound (similar to tar) into my hair, and rubbed some white spirit into my matted locks to dissolve it - which it did. But some of the white spirit dribbled down into my eyes, resulting in instant blindness. Having groped my way into the shower, half an hour of drenching water into my eyes was needed before my sight was fully restored. Never Again !

Pleiades

Visit site
Foul anti foul

Hi Hannah.
Sorry about the hair fouling - hope the shade matches eye colour etc..... Perhaps could work up justification for a whole new wardrobe to match......! You could not possibly go sailing with your old Musto jacket if it clashes.....
Anit fouling is horrible stuff and should not be allowed to come into contact with anything that lives. Being a bit of a messy painter I usually end up with the stuff in places it is not supposed to be. Hair is sort of dead I suppose but contact with the scalp etc is bad news.
Bit late now, sorry, but an oil based product will shift it. Skin is not meant for white spirit or thinners etc. As Chrissie mentioned above, butter works. It does not work immediately however and intial results may disappoint. Rub it on with a piece of kitchen roll and leave it to soften the paint. After a couple of applications off the paint comes. Butter is not likely to do your skin any harm and works better than any hand cream type product which I have tried. I prefer a nice salted Anchor brand myself but I suppose Country Life would be equally good.
Good luck.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5

Ional

Visit site
Next time!

Wear a throw-away shower hat.......I always save some when travelling. You will receive many admiring glances!

I also liberally cover my eyebrows, nose, lips ears etc with vaseline......you can tell I too am a messy painter. Then wear a mask and goggles to complete the ensemble.

My husband gave me a car trolly a few years back so I could get underneath the bilges, and yes we are still married!

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Hi folks, desperately in need of some help! Last weekend my boyfriend were hard at work scrubbing the keel of a friends boat with wet and dry, soapy water to get the anti fouling off, ready for a new coat. Naturally our overalls and hair were covered in the stuff. not realising how it would affect us, our overalls are badly stained - not that it's a major issue! But I cannot for the life of me get the stuff out of my hair. I have used talc, fairy liquid and copiuos amounts of normal shampoo, yet the top of my head looks like it's been dipped in a chip pan! Does anyone have any practical advice for getting this stuff out of your hair? Short of shaving my head!

Next time I will wear a hat!

Rather desperate!

Slowly massage Swarfega (hand cleaner) into the affected area of hair - it will soften the A/F so it can be washed out. Use no thinners or chemicals not intended for the skin - if you get some in your eyes you will rue the day!

PWG

IAmCharlieC

Visit site
Replying to an old thread with a new question. A pair of old jeans covered in anti-foul (got at least some of it on the boat…)

dont need to get the AF off them, but don’t want to ruin the washing machine when I wash the jeans.

am I OK putting them in? Or is this a bad idea?

DownWest

Visit site
Replying to an old thread with a new question. A pair of old jeans covered in anti-foul (got at least some of it on the boat…)

dont need to get the AF off them, but don’t want to ruin the washing machine when I wash the jeans.

I too had to look at the date with some of the posters... But swarfega does sound like the best bet.

pvb

Visit site

Why? Why reply to a thread which is over 10 years old? What's the point? It'll only confuse people (as replies have shown). Why not just start a new thread asking your question?