George Collins - Ramsholt Harbour Master

phatcat1

Visit site
Hi all, the following is some sad news to all those that have visited Ramsholt on the Deben.

It is from the Ramsholt Arms Twitter feed.

"We are very sad to report that Harbour Master George went in to hospital last week. We have all been very worried about him but we have heard from brother Bill and family that he is feeling a little better and his condition is stable.
However sadly, George is not well enough to return to Ramsholt and has had to take the difficult decision to retire from his post of Harbour Master.
George has worked on the quay since 1960 and took on the role of Harbour Master from his father George Collins Senior in 1983 and has been looking after Ramsholt Quay for over 40 years, retiring at the incredible age of 93 years old.
We know that George will be greatly missed by all who visit Ramsholt and life down on the quay will never be the same again.
We will post regular updates on George and are happy to pass on any messages of well wishes that are sent to us or posted here."

John & Lyn Kristina

Visit site
Hi all, the following is some sad news to all those that have visited Ramsholt on the Deben.

It is from the Ramsholt Arms Twitter feed.

"We are very sad to report that Harbour Master George went in to hospital last week. We have all been very worried about him but we have heard from brother Bill and family that he is feeling a little better and his condition is stable.
However sadly, George is not well enough to return to Ramsholt and has had to take the difficult decision to retire from his post of Harbour Master.
George has worked on the quay since 1960 and took on the role of Harbour Master from his father George Collins Senior in 1983 and has been looking after Ramsholt Quay for over 40 years, retiring at the incredible age of 93 years old.
We know that George will be greatly missed by all who visit Ramsholt and life down on the quay will never be the same again.
We will post regular updates on George and are happy to pass on any messages of well wishes that are sent to us or posted here."
Sad news indeed, Goerge was very welcoming and helpful when we first got our mooring at Ramholt a few years ago. We wish Goerge all the best in his retirement. John & Lyn

Debennut

Visit site
I really hope he makes a speedy recovery. A true gentleman, I owe him big time.
About 20 years ago, I took my dinghy alongside Brio, to pay for my overnight mooring. Whilst alongside, I managed to turn the dinghy over and found myself, underneath the upturned dinghy, being swept down by the ebb. George jumped in his dinghy and managed to get a line on my dinghy and tow me to the Ramsholt hard. Fortunately I was wearing a lifejacket, the outcome could have been a lot, lot worse.

Greg2

Visit site
We are on a mooring at Ramsholt this evening and I called George earlier today to confirm that a buoy would be available. Having done the same only two weeks ago I was surprised when he answered the phone to tell me that he had retired and was in hospital. I don’t want to pry about his health so I thanked him and wished him well in his retirement.

A true gent who will very much be missed on the river.

sailorman

Visit site
i liked my interactions with George, a true gentleman. wishing you the best of luck for the your retirement George. God bless.update, friend was at ramsholt, yesterday, he spoke, with richard clarke, who is hm designate, he sid george is in hospital and has regular visits from relations, richard wilk not be there every day, though he is a real local plus a mooring holder of many years standing, he used to take folk out fishing in his aquabel the will lord, richard was, already lined up to take over b4 george was taken ill, he will be ewell suited to the task👍

CliveG

Visit site
Very Sorry to hear that George is unwell.
I hope he recovers soon and can enjoy his well deserved Retirement.
He really looked after me as a mooring holder over the years.

Wishing Richard Clarke well with filling the role.
George will be a hard act to follow!

pks1702

Visit site
Always found George friendly and courteous.

A bit like our late Queen, George has always been there so things won't be quite the same.

Have a relaxing retirement George - you deserve it.

Johnah

Visit site
We spoke to Richard who says he is going to put up a board at Ramsholt with his phone number on it.

Understandably, he says he is unlikely to be there 364 days a year like George! Richard is now trying to find out himself which are the available visitor moorings.

He said that George was still in hospital, but a bit better as of last Friday and wants to join his twin brother in the home that he is in. Don't ring George's number.

Visit site
Just a little update to say that George was at the RA last week and enjoyed his fish and chips!

RA posted on 10/9/23
It is with great joy that we can let all our lovely friends of the Ramsholt Arms know that the legend that is wonderful George Collins, our former Harbour Master, came to see us today.
George is on the mend and we are so happy to see him at Ramsholt again where he enjoyed his favourite lunch of fish and chips.
Thank you to everyone for all your kind messages for George and brother Bill and we hope to see them both again very soon
🥰

If anyone hasn't met him, this is a little reminder of George from last year when he was still going strong!

sailorman

Visit site
We spoke to Richard who says he is going to put up a board at Ramsholt with his phone number on it.

Understandably, he says he is unlikely to be there 364 days a year like George! Richard is now trying to find out himself which are the available visitor moorings.

He said that George was still in hospital, but a bit better as of last Friday and wants to join his twin brother in the home that he is in. Don't ring George's number.i understnd that richard has stood down and Ian moore has been appointed as sorry no further info, and though wsc website is had an update I'm told