Gasket alternative

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
In innocence, I split my Fischer Panda diesel generator at the wrong point. I need to change the flywheel as the teeth are chewed away. (I bought the gennie with a declared fault for £800. The fault was easy to fix but I believe I caused the ring teeth damage trying to start it with an inadequate battery. Fischerr Panda quoted £800 for a new ring only, to be fitted - by me!).

I took the end cover off expecting access to the flywheel (naively).
The gennie actually split with just four bolts right at the obvious junction.
Removing the end cap revealed corrosion in the cooling ways that needs to be removed (and prevented in the future) so the mistake had its benefits.
Bearing in mind the cost of the starter ring, I am not even going to ask FP to quote for the end cover gasket.
Can I use a liquid gasket material instead? The original did not survive the end cover removal.

I have a Farryman repair manual which covers flywheel removal ( but not the detachment from ancillaries - in my defence).
The instructions state "using a 36mm socket, give the driver a smart tap to loosen the nut".
Ha,Ha,Ha! (see 2355).
There are four M10 studs to connect to the rotor. Engineers will know that M10 = 17mm spanner for nuts. Not here, - 16mm.:(
Once again, "light tap" was not the solution. First time I have bent a ring spanner!
I had made a puller with two holes at 100mm pitch and a central stud. I could only remove one stud using locked together nuts.
All this was on board with machines 60 miles away.
The saga continues.

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 24

Stemar

Visit site
It doesn't help you now, but a number of people, including the Sail Life YouTube channel, would say that your big mistake was buying FP.

As for gasket material, there was many a DIY mechanic's wife who discovered that the cornflakes had lost their box when hubby was fixing the car, but I'd go with RtB's solution if you can.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It doesn't help you now, but a number of people, including the Sail Life YouTube channel, would say that your big mistake was buying FP.

As for gasket material, there was many a DIY mechanic's wife who discovered that the cornflakes had lost their box when hubby was fixing the car, but I'd go with RtB's solution if you can.
Old charts were recommended by the engineer who taught our RYA Diesel course, in conjunction with a ball pein hammer to cut it against the facing surface!

William_H

Visit site
I seem to recall my old dad many years ago fitting a new ring gear to a car. This involved heating the ring gear to expand it to then fit over the flywheel and shrink on. I don't know how he got old one off. Presumably with much bashing. Does the engine have an original manufacturer to find a replacement ring gear. Is the ring gear ally ruined? Can you source a generic ring gear of correct diameter and teeth spacing? ol'will

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I seem to recall my old dad many years ago fitting a new ring gear to a car. This involved heating the ring gear to expand it to then fit over the flywheel and shrink on. I don't know how he got old one off. Presumably with much bashing. Does the engine have an original manufacturer to find a replacement ring gear. Is the ring gear ally ruined? Can you source a generic ring gear of correct diameter and teeth spacing? ol'will
I found a flywheel with newish looking ring on ebay for £100 and intend to fit that. The same seller had a starter motor as well and I will use that. Goodnes knows what that would have cost from FP.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Fisher panda do not make the engine so what FP generator do you have just hope its not the single cylinder German engine as I have as spares are difficult to get now

oldgit

Visit site
Also handy when the impellor sheds vanes mid trip.
Although in this case it was a Aldi knock off cornflake box in conjunction with a long abandoned "Boots" jar of petroleum jelly found in the far corner of the medicine cabinet hidden behind my wifes valuable collection of bottles of unopened and very out of date suncream.
Every opening of the cabinet produces a cascade of half used and totally out of date chemicals in tin foil and bottles.
One day am definately going to have a clear out. :ROFLMAO: