Gas regulators

chrishewett

Visit site
Another user of this forum assures me that he has a regulator which fits both the 4.5kg Calor butane cylinder and the Camping gaz cylinders. I have one of each in front of me as I type and they are quite obviously incompatable, calor being left hand outside thread and camping gaz inside righthand thread and different sizes. Although I have been selling bottled gas for 15 years, I have not ever sold it to the boating community and so am quite happy to admit that I may be wrong and such a useful universal fitting does indeed exist, though I fail to see how.
Does anyone else have one of these and if so where can I get one?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I would have thought that the manufacturers would actively avoid doing this in order to keep a captive clientele.

If something has been cobbled up I would be afraid for safety reasons.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
maybe...

i can see how it would be done: bulkhead regulator, wall block manifold including non-return valves, two tails, one with each type of connector. i've been thinking of doing something similar for cruising in europe.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DerrickHigton

Visit site
I have a simple adaptor, with a stop valve, which screws on to Camping Gaz bottle but has a Calor Gas thread on the outlet. I bought it about twenty years ago for a few pounds. Try a camping shop.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chrishewett

Visit site
That sounds like the answer though I would be suprised if they were available now. I agree with John, Calor would be very unhappy with the existence of such an adaptor. The advantage of camping gaz is its worldwide availability, obvious downside its size. I have to repeat that the answer is propane - available worldwide in an abundance of sizes, all using the same fitting regulator whatever country or make. Also in cold weather vapourises better than butane. I have to add that Calor would like to see the back of the 4.5kg as it is not a profit earner and the cylinders are likely to become rare, already they are rationed to retailers and only available on a one for one basis.
Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
We have this adapter too, bought ours from the Hypermarket in Cherbourg some years ago, haven't seen them recently but haven't looked. Friends bought one from the local main dealer for Calor in Poole but again not very recently. Maybe the adapter is best sourced from Gaz suppliers as it is in their interest to sell Gaz to Calor users.

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
Chris ,I would like to use propane for various reasons but have heard it could cause sooting problems in the burners. I tried it and found no noticeable difference in the appearance of the flame .Any suggestions??

<hr width=100% size=1>

brianhumber

Visit site
Standards for NEW installations will be changing shortly. Butane and Propane appliances will operate at same low pressure with regulators mounted and not on the bottle. Caravan magazines are getting excited over these changes.

This introduces a high pressure flexible hose into the equation. It remains to be seen how the so far simple LPG systems on small yachts will comply with these regs.

As with all changes like this, confusion will arise, eg do you modify exisiting installations, if so will insurance cover the modifications, burners will be adjusted to wrong pressures etc etc . My ACS LPG cert I took last year should have been a useful retirement little earner as it was intended, but no doubt the insurance costs PI etc will stop me trading just like it did with surveying. Ah well, our dacha, grapes and sailing the Black Sea coast will make up for any disappointment and sod all nanny EU/government civil servants and regulators.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chrishewett

Visit site
Graham
I am certain that there is no difference in cleanliness between propane and butane. Propane has a higher calorific value than butane and vapourises at a higher pressure causing the use of a different regulator. I have heard so much rubbish talked about bottled gas such as if you use any other gas than Calor it soots up your burners! No doubt that one was put about by one of the gas suppliers. Most bottled gas in this country is Shell gas and bottlers, such as Calor fill up at Killingholme with the same stuff.
Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
4.5kg propane

yes, this size exists though it's not common. because propane has a lower density it will be slightly less, 4.1kg perhaps (the 13kg propane and 15kg butane are the same size)

<hr width=100% size=1>

rrees

www.cruisinglogs.org.uk
Use one of these convertors myself
They are available at our local caravan dealer
cant remember the make now will check when I go next
I also use a calor gadge to measure the amout of gas in the bottle and doubles up as a gas leak detector also

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>