Gas leak detector

chwarae

Visit site
I have a bubble type gas leak detector. I have been told that you can use car antifreeze to top up the unit as antifreeze is propylene glycol. Anyone else heard this and is it true?

pvb

Visit site
Car antifreeze is usually ethylene glycol based, rather than propylene glycol. The liquid supplied in sachets by Alde for topping up bubble testers is ethylene glycol. So, you could use an ethylene glycol car antifreeze (concentrated, not ready-mixed) if you wanted.

VicS

Visit site
Car antifreeze is usually ethylene glycol based, rather than propylene glycol. The liquid supplied in sachets by Alde for topping up bubble testers is ethylene glycol. So, you could use an ethylene glycol car antifreeze (concentrated, not ready-mixed) if you wanted.

Or is it?
bubb3-1.jpg

image16151.jpg

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
Or is it?

Maybe, maybe not. The Alde site lists 3 glycol products - 4070120, 4070123 and 4070125. The first two have MSDS data indicating ethylene glycol, the third (the sachet) doesn't have any MSDS data.

Ethylene glycol is less potentially damaging to seals and plastic parts, so might be preferable.

VicS

Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. The Alde site lists 3 glycol products - 4070120, 4070123 and 4070125. The first two have MSDS data indicating ethylene glycol, the third (the sachet) doesn't have any MSDS data.

Ethylene glycol is less potentially damaging to seals and plastic parts, so might be preferable.

I was assuming that the sachet label could be relied upon. Probably no MSDS data because it does not contain anything hazardous!

pvb

Visit site
I was assuming that the sachet label could be relied upon. Probably no MSDS data because it does not contain anything hazardous!

Maybe the sachet has propylene glycol in case anyone accidentally puts it in their tea. The OP wondered if he could use car antifreeze, which presumably he already has available, rather than shelling out a couple of quid for a sachet. Can't see why he shouldn't.

Hoolie

Visit site
Chemically propylene glycol will be a heavier molecule and therefore less volatile. Whether this makes any noticeable difference I don't know. Sounds a good tip though as I have leak detector to fit in the near future.

VicS

Visit site
Chemically propylene glycol will be a heavier molecule and therefore less volatile. Whether this makes any noticeable difference I don't know. Sounds a good tip though as I have leak detector to fit in the near future.
ITYWF that ethylene glycol has a higher boiling point, but basically the volatility of either is so low that its not going to make any significance.

Maybe the sachet has propylene glycol in case anyone accidentally puts it in their tea. The OP wondered if he could use car antifreeze, which presumably he already has available, rather than shelling out a couple of quid for a sachet. Can't see why he shouldn't.

My only reservation about using car antifreeze is that it contains more than just glycol. Maybe no problem though

I think two of the Alde part numbers you quote ( 4070120, 4070123 ) are for 2 different sized bottles of an OAT antifreeze which they supply for their Combi boiler based heating systems.
4070125 is the "part number" for sachets of the leak detector fluid.

What I was really raising objection to was the misinformation that, "The liquid supplied in sachets by Alde for topping up bubble testers is ethylene glycol."

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I've got a 1 litre bottle of PG, bought for when I was considering making my own eCig vaping liquid. Not expensive on eBay, but happy to send a small quantity. I look forward to marking the contents as liquid fog :)

Just found this on eBay http://r.ebay.com/sksEKQ

Usefull I have just bought a 50ml bottle off the ebay site dirt cheap and no postage - how do they do it.

Also noticed that ebay has my credit card on and it does not even ask for the 3 digit code - so its now removed! - too risky So double thanks for your help.

chwarae

Visit site
Just had a good check of the bubble tester. It contains plenty of the liquid provided at installation (about 5 years ago). I took it off and gave it a bit of a clean before replacing and testing for leaks around cylinder and upstream of tester with normal gas leak testing fluid. I didn't succeed in opening the fluid holder as the plastic fitting was very tight and becoming mangled when I used a small adjustable spanner. Just thought I'd let everyone know. My reason for initial question was because Force 4 didn't have any fluid. The cost is negligible for a job done so rarely. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Pete735

Visit site
Not directly related to the original question, but what could I use to colour the liquid in the bubble tester to make it easier to check it still has liquid in? When I saw anti freeze mentioned I thought great, I will change it to red or blue a/freeze, now I am not so sure.

VicS

Visit site
Not directly related to the original question, but what could I use to colour the liquid in the bubble tester to make it easier to check it still has liquid in? When I saw anti freeze mentioned I thought great, I will change it to red or blue a/freeze, now I am not so sure.

Try some food dye, but dont overdo it or you might not see the bubbles.