gas again

Elessar

Visit site
Unfortunately there isn’t a practical alternative for average sized boats and frankly gas isn’t that dangerous when properly used.
No that’s true especially if you have a gas alarm in the bilge. But it is inconvenient. And there are practical alternatives.

I had a deisel hob in my last boat which was good. Slow to warm up but otherwise convenient and you can get a lid with a fan in to turn it into a cabin heater. Using an inverter for a kettle took away the slow to heat irritation.

Before that I had spirit cookers. Mains when available spirit when away from the marina.

Agree it’s a world easier if the boat is big enough for a generator.

Aja

Visit site
Two posts have mentioned the Safefill website, which shows about half a dozen on the west coast, not limited to Morrisons elsewhere.
I'll take that with a pinch of salt. The retail outlet in East Loch Tarbert has been closed for at least 12 years.

I'm sure that the company is sincere but it's early days yet.

Humblebee

Visit site
If you went with 7kg presumably they didn't take the old cylinder, so what was the net cost of the new one?
Calor group their bottles into sizes which can be exchanged for others in the same group and the 7kg bottle is in the same group as the 4.5kg. I changed mine over this summer, one garage declined to make the exchange but a bit of asking around and I managed to get both mine exchanged. A day or two working upside down in the stern locker and I managed to alter my gas locker to accept the bigger bottles, others may not have this option.

plumbob

Visit site
Calor group their bottles into sizes which can be exchanged for others in the same group and the 7kg bottle is in the same group as the 4.5kg. I changed mine over this summer, one garage declined to make the exchange but a bit of asking around and I managed to get both mine exchanged. A day or two working upside down in the stern locker and I managed to alter my gas locker to accept the bigger bottles, others may not have this option.
As people have said, lots of places aren't interested in doing the swop to the next size up. Did it yesterday. Completed in no time. Not interested in the original agreement, and only charged for the gas. But........... at 495mm high, luckily I have a gas locker that clears 500mm.