Garmin GPS 555 Chartplotter not working

andrewbrittain

Visit site
Hi

I have a Garmin GPS 555 installed on our Four Winns Vista motorboat - which was working fine up until the weekend, when, shortly after setting out, the screen went blank, the power went off - and it couldn't be turned back on again.

I checked the fuse and no problem there - and I double-checked the cable connection in the back of the unit. Beyond that, with zero knowledge of marine electrics, I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm not totally sure if it's related, but at the time the chartplotter failed, I'm sure I heard an unusual beeping alarm coming from somewhere (which I've never heard before).

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

andrewbrittain

Visit site
If you have a volt meter, check your boats battery voltage. Should be at least 12.5 volts with engine off?

Where in the world are you located? :rolleyes:

ps: Welcome to the YBW forums. :)

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Voltmeter readings are all normal (and all other electrics are working fine). I'm in Swanwick, Southampton.

Pete7

Visit site
Garmin are just down the road from you near Marchwood. Give them a shout and drop it in for repair. The last one I asked for a repair came back as a completely brand new unit for the price of the quoted repair well outside the warranty period.

Pete