Gallions Point Marina

MrCramp

Visit site
Moving a 30ft yacht from Harwich to Gallions Point Marina this weekend. Any tips on using this marina? Is access easy, any waiting bouys/pontoons? How good actually is the public transport links. Is it a friendly place to stay, any good pubs/takeaways? Any input welcome. Thanks

MiskinDriver

Visit site
I kept my boat there for a year - so a personal view:

No waiting pontoons, but you'd need to get the tide seriously wrong to need one for long with HW plus or minus 5 hrs access. There is an old wharf immediately outside - top of lock height - I've never used, but if you're comfortable with pilings ......

Transport links are OK - round about a 10 min walk up to the DLR station. There are buses running past, but never been sure where they go - Woolwich area I guess - opposite direction to the DLR. That direction is also the only way to go for pubs and takeaways - though never tried any of them. Best bet is DLR to either Canary Wharf area - pubs and restaurants there, or keep going to Limehouse for Narrow St (restaurants and pubs good).

As for is it friendly - well if you see anyone, they're generally OK and the people running the place are OK - but most of the time its pretty quiet - well, other than for the aircraft landing at City Airport that is!

All in all - a functional marina, not a luxurious one!

If you're planning to leave at a particular time, make sure that you have booked the lock - they have a habit of not turning up til late if they think nothing is happening. Oh - and they charge £5 each way through the lock.

And I'd try and avoid an end of pontoon mooring - the wind kinda howls down past the airport and straight into the marina and you tend to get white tops when you least expect them. Tell them you need somewhere sheltered 'cos of your aged granny or something.

Have a good time.