Furling or Battened Main on a charter boat

Pete Carr

Visit site
Hello,
This is my first post on here so please be tolerant if I dont quite get things right?

Newly qualified day skipper, will be chartering a Sun Odyssey 33i out of Corfu in June. This will be my first time as skipper, and will be short handed (possibly just the two of us)
I have a choice of two boats to book, one with a furling main and one with a battened main, I am looking at friendly advice which way to go? (Bearing in mind as a charter yacht they may not have been the best looked after).

The company with the battened main boat is a small family run company, who I would prefer to deal with.
The boat with a Furling main is a newer boat (2015) but is offered through a charter agency "Sailogy"

I am aware of stories of Furling mains Jamming, I am also aware that a lot people are very happy with a furling main.
Safety and ease of use use shorthanded is my only priority.
I am quite prepared to potter around just using the engine if I think conditions may get a bit too vigorous for me.

A bit about me, I am a mechanical engineer by training and have done daft things like race motorbikes, so I do have a good mechanical aptitude and can probably keep a good eye on potential snags, and why they may happen.

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

Pete

johnalison

Visit site
Although the battened main should sail a bit better, I wouldn't use the main as a factor in making a choice because you could make a case for each of them. I haven't used a furling main much and only on other people's boats, but there is clearly a bit of a knack in getting the best out of them, so I would mug up on this before going if that is your choice. It would have some advantages, and save a few minutes now and again when stting off and packing up. On the other hand, a battened sail is more 'normal' and what you will normally encounter, so you may as well get used to it. For short-handed work, there is not much to choose, because both will require someone to operate a winch at some stage. I can and do set, reeef, and drop the sail on my 34-footer on my own, but occasionally the use of an autopilot makes it much easier. As I say, I would go for whichever option suited you for other reasons.

lpdsn

Visit site
Just go with the boat the suits you best otherwise. I prefer proper mainsails but unless you have a crew that want to focus on trimming the sails as you go along it's not going to make that much difference to your enjoyment whichever way you go.

I've certainly had experience of a furling main on a charter boat that really wanted to jam whenever it got the chance, but providing you monitor and supervise theing carefully when furling up it should be ok. The moment you see the sail start to bunch up or large creases forming stop and try again. Don't press on with and hope it'll be OK as that's when things can get really bad. I found that holding the outhaul down by hand helped but I'm sure after a couple of days you'll find the best solution for the boat you charter. And anyway, it might even work properly without all the struggles. You never know.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Thank-you for both replies so far.
Apart for the sail configuration and a few years difference in age, both boats are the same specification,
I am erring towards the British owned small family company (battened sail) I will see what other comments & recommendations are made over the weekend, before choosing.
Thanks again

Pete

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Thank-you for both replies so far.
Apart for the sail configuration and a few years difference in age, both boats are the same specification,
I am erring towards the British owned small family company (battened sail) I will see what other comments & recommendations are made over the weekend, before choosing.
Thanks again

Pete

If that is your "Gut feeling" Go with it!

D

Deleted member 36384

Both systems will work well if you understand how to use them correctly, equally both systems can be operated wrongly and give problems. The furling main is probably easier to use without any other support from crew. Therefore, based on your criteria in your opening post, I would suggest the furling main.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Corfu, June

Sailing weather will be 'all you can hoist or nothing at all' ( nothing because you are motoring and flopping)

Sometimes it's just too much hassle to put up the main anyway, certainly reefing is something I have done perhaps 10 times in 12 years. ( and I've only done that at the ends of seasons.

Make sure they've got nice big roller furling genoas that work well.

Stock up on suntan lotion, Mozzie warfare, big hats and preload the fridge with ice ( keeps power consumption to a minimum )

lpdsn

Visit site
I am erring towards the British owned small family company ...

One rule of thumb I developed when I used to charter regularly was: the fussier the charter company the more likely the boats were to be in good condition. And they were often a bit cheaper too.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Corfu, June

Sailing weather will be 'all you can hoist or nothing at all' ( nothing because you are motoring and flopping)

Sometimes it's just too much hassle to put up the main anyway, certainly reefing is something I have done perhaps 10 times in 12 years. ( and I've only done that at the ends of seasons.

That's fine with me :)
One of the reasons I chose the North Ionian, is that it is probably the least challenging (newbie friendly) area to sail, & secondly we always holiday in Corfu & Paxos at this time of year, so have a reasonable idea of what to expect conditions wise.

Pete

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Having chartered yachts with both, fully battened and furling mainsails, I prefer the fully battened version.

The furling versions main benefit is the ability to set as much or as little sail as you want, the downside is the relatively small mainsail, which often have a hollow cut leach (to stop it fluttering) and the difficulty of getting a good sail shape. For me, this make sailing lessl fun, because the boat does sail that well, especially to windward.

A fully battened main, generates a lot more power, but you have to reef it when the wind increases, and a lot depends on how well the reefing system is set up. A good set-up with single line reefing led back to the cockpit is very easy to use, but one which requires someone to go forward to the mast can be difficult to use, especially if you are short handed or have an inexperienced crew.

However, my experience is that I've done more sailing with a fully battened main than a furling system and used a lot less fuel.

NormanS

Visit site
Nobody can advise you on what would be best for YOU. I now have a furling main and am delighted with it, but I'm getting on a bit, and so one of the advantages to me, is that I only have to hoist the main once a year. I can reef as much or as little as I like, without leaving the helm, and accept the slight loss of sail area.

BTW I don't know what winch johnalison is referring to in #2, but I certainly don't use a winch to pull my sail in or out. Maybe it's using a winch unnecessarily which gives people problems. :rolleyes: Just think of it as being very similar to a furling Genoa.

jwilson

Visit site
At 33 ft LOA I don't see much advantage to an in-mast furling main. It starts to be an advantage once you have difficulty packing away a main in a stackpack because you're stretching on tiptoe - ie typically about 38-40 ft boats for shorties like me, or 40-45 for taller people.

Inmast definitely less efficient as a sail, but I've done a few thousand miles with in-mast and on a bigger boat I'd choose it if I couldn't have in-boom reefing.

If you're chartering with in-mast I'd expect the charter operatore to show you exactly how to use it: do it right and it works beautifully. Get boom angle and/or tensions wrong and it can jam.

Tranona

Visit site
Corfu, June

Make sure they've got nice big roller furling genoas that work well.

Stock up on suntan lotion, Mozzie warfare, big hats and preload the fridge with ice ( keeps power consumption to a minimum )

Agree with this. It is irrelevant what sort of mainsail the boat has. You will not do any sailing where the performance difference (which is marginal anyway) will make any difference. Choose the boat and operator you feel happy with. There is still a preference for furling mainsails in that area as they are popular with charterers. I owned a charter boat there for 7 years with not only a furling mainsail but a shallow draft keel - both anathema to the performance lovers. Not only was it a very popular boat, fully booked each year but was trouble free and nobody complained about the performance.

johnalison

Visit site
BTW I don't know what winch johnalison is referring to in #2, but I certainly don't use a winch to pull my sail in or out. Maybe it's using a winch unnecessarily which gives people problems. :rolleyes: Just think of it as being very similar to a furling Genoa.
It was an Island Packet of over 45', when the winch was always used. I don't know what the lower size when this becomes necessary is.

SarahJ

Visit site
Agree with the above that what matters is the charterer you feel would be best. Check reviews. Do they both have autopilot? Check working of either in mast main or reefing lines at handover. Personally had more problems with reefing lines on charter than in-mast. We have a list now that we go over for equipment at charter handover. Definitely worth it. And have a lovely time in North Ionian, it's spectacular!

ashtead

Visit site
Leaving aside the furling issue which is a matter of personal preference , generally there are some who due to age or infirmity prefer in mast notwithstanding the risks which it brings of jamming etc as reported however as noted by others at this smaller size probably isn't key to your sailing to go with either and the newer boat has in mast which might be more relevant . That said you might be assisted by asking for others experiences with charterers and their boat maintenance experiences etc involved and items on board . It might be for example that the family firm has a more customer friendly handover than say a larger outfit which is just concerned with processing you through or a smoother handover due to less customers You might also have requirements in other areas e.g. An outboard that actually works or such like or an easier refuelling to deal with on return . personally have no knowledge of one mentioned but maybe invite feedback on them for location you select?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
If you do choose the furling main, check how the the sail furls into the mast. If , for instance, it winds clockwise when viewed from above, you will find that it becomes heavier to furl when the wind gets on the starboard side, due to friction from the port side of the slot. Therefore it is a good tactic, rather than going directly head-to-wind, to motor slightly off the wind, with the wind on the port side and the mainsheet free. The opposite tack would apply, obviously, if it furls anticlockwise.

Pete Carr

Visit site
Many Thanks for everyone's comments, I decided to go with the battened sail with the smaller company.

But, they are saying they need the deposit as a bank transfer to a Greek bank, and not a credit card, which is now putting me off, firstly there is no comeback with a bank transfer and secondly I will be up for considerable fee's.
Whereas, the booking agent for the Furling boat will take c/cards. what a bloomin palava.

Visit site
Hello,
This is my first post on here so please be tolerant if I dont quite get things right?

Newly qualified day skipper, will be chartering a Sun Odyssey 33i out of Corfu in June. This will be my first time as skipper, and will be short handed (possibly just the two of us)
I have a choice of two boats to book, one with a furling main and one with a battened main, I am looking at friendly advice which way to go? (Bearing in mind as a charter yacht they may not have been the best looked after).

The company with the battened main boat is a small family run company, who I would prefer to deal with.
The boat with a Furling main is a newer boat (2015) but is offered through a charter agency "Sailogy"

I am aware of stories of Furling mains Jamming, I am also aware that a lot people are very happy with a furling main.
Safety and ease of use use shorthanded is my only priority.
I am quite prepared to potter around just using the engine if I think conditions may get a bit too vigorous for me.

A bit about me, I am a mechanical engineer by training and have done daft things like race motorbikes, so I do have a good mechanical aptitude and can probably keep a good eye on potential snags, and why they may happen.

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

Pete

i spent a while chartering before i bought my boat, and to be honest its all about personnel preference, i often find i cant get any shape in a furling main and its a pita to point, especially as its an unknown charter boat to you, i find reefing a batterned sail easier short handed especially with single line reefing etc, rather than fighting to get the furling main in which sometimes can be a faff if the sails flapping imo

but of course people tell me battered sails are a faff soooo.... differing opinions.

but that said unless i was piling the miles on - sail choice on a charter boat in corfu doesnt really matter places are so close together you wont need to rush anywhere , winds are generally light in the summer without the need for reefing so accommodation and a newer boat would be higher on my list.

Norman_E

Visit site
I had the same question when I bought my boat, the choice came down to a 43 foot boat with in mast furling, and an older, 45 foot boat with a full battened main. As said above in the Med you usually need all the mainsail or none, though I have two reefs with twin line reefing and do sail reefed down in stronger winds that you are likely to see in the northern Ionian. For pleasure in getting a good sail with a nicely set mainsail I am very glad I chose to have a full battened main. You just need to motor dead into the wind to drop it cleanly. With practice you can also drop the sail going dead downwind if the wind is less than or equal to your motoring speed. A lot of charter boats I have seen with in mast furling appear to have pretty poor mainsails. At worst those boats also have Dacron Genoas that have become stretched and baggy so that upwind performance is badly compromised.