Full Engine Monitoring System

superheat6k

Visit site
Following the issue with my starboard engine seizure I am now as a part of the overhaul / repair / reinstatement project equipping the engines with a dedicated monitoring system. This will be based upon the Industrial Controller we use in my business for our Water Chillers because it offers an extensive range of Input channels and Output relays, is very accurate, runs on 12vdc, and (for me anyway) is relatively low cost.

It produces the data for export in a Bacnet or Modbus format, although I have found a device that can convert Bacnet to NMEA2000. This might be needed for the display, although I am looking at a Wifi Tablet option

Here is my list of parameters so far. 32 inputs is the qty of the base controller plus 1 expansion board (16 each). Those marked V are virtual inputs derived from other parameters - I can create lots of these as needed, extra to the base 32 channels.

Not quite resolved the tacho pulse converter to 0-5VDC, although we are neaely there on the DC shunt 75 mV to 0-5VDC signal.

For the flow switch on the seawater side (the most crucial part for me) I have found a 32mm paddle in the US, but I am considering a far simpler and smaller flow switch on the shaft seal bleed line.

Once it is established a separate data router will give me full two way connectivity.

Anything here missing or perhaps superfluous ?

Common
Port
Stbd
Sensor type
Fitting
Qty
Alarm
Critical alarm
RO for alarms
Engine RPM
Yes​
Yes​
Pulse counter ?
-​
2​
No
Oil pressure
Yes​
Yes​
100 PSI
1/8" NPT​
2​
Yes < 1 bar
Yes​
1​
Engine on by OP > 0.5B (run hours)
Yes​
Yes​
User Logic
-​
No
2 Virt​
Sump temperature
Yes​
Yes​
T100
1/4” well into front drain plug​
2​
Yes > TBA
Gen​
FW temperature cooler in
Yes​
Yes​
T100
TBA - Header tank ?​
2​
Yes > 96oC
Yes​
1​
FW temperature cooler out
Yes​
Yes​
T100
1/2” Well at return inlet​
2​
Yes > TBA oC
1​
FW Cooler D T
Yes​
Yes​
User Logic
-​
2V​
No
Exhaust elbow temp
Yes​
Yes​
T100
T B A​
2​
Yes > TBA
Yes​
1​
Gear oil pressure
Yes​
Yes​
500 PSI
M10 x 1 F to 1/8” NPTF​
2​
Yes < TBA
1​
Gearbox temp
Yes​
Yes​
T100
3/8” NPSF to 1/4” well​
2​
Yes > TBA
1​
Seawater flow
Yes​
Yes​
Digital
32mm hose​
2​
Yes when off AND Oil press > 1 Bar
Yes​
1​
Voltage
Yes​
Yes​
Voltage divider cct
-​
2​
< 11 volts
1​
Alternator amps
Yes​
Yes​
? DC amps
-​
2​
No
Seawater inlet temp
Yes​
Yes​
T100
Well into SW strainer​
2​
No
Inlet manifold press (turbo boost)
Yes​
Yes​
30 PSI
1/8” NPT on inlet manifold​
2​
No
Engine room temp
Yes​
T100
Dangle​
1​
Yes > TBA
Yes​
1​
Outside temp
Yes​
T100
Under door rail​
1​
No
Cabin temp
Yes​
T100
Somewhere​
1​
No
Bilge pump on
Yes​
Digital relay
1​
On pulse count
1​
FW pump on
Yes​
Digital relay
1​
On pulse count
1​
Fridge temp
Yes​
T100
1​
Yes > 8oC
1​
32​
12​

vas

Visit site
Trev what's this T100 that's used on any temp measurement? What's its range and fittings? How will it measure exhaust elbow, externally on the metal or the exhaust hose?

I'm asking as I see a large range of Temps that have to be accommodated for.

Others look reasonable, will check compare with mine when I'm back home tonight and add anything missing...

V

vas

Visit site
OK two things I've done different:

Seawater pressure after the pump and before the first heat exchanger, (higher means blocked heat exchanger, lower means blocked inlet/damaged impeller).
Second thing missing is vacuum from the pre filters, goes up filters blocked...

Edit: third I'm planning to do during the winter is stuffing box Temps, messed my packing squeezing and temp went up to 90c :eek: for 5mins that was, still scary!!

V

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I would add a resettable bilge pump counter so that you can tell if any leak into the bilge is getting worse.

You could also look at a rate so it the rate of bilge pump on indicated that a leak is getting worse.

status

Visit site
May I ask what controller you use/intend to use?

We use Schneider PLC's and HMI's (controllers and touchscreens) and I have often thought of rigging up a returned one but there are so few electrical things on my '80s Fulmar it is not worth the effort!

TernVI

Visit site
A couple of thermal switches and a big horn would have prevented the original problem?
I think stuff as fundamental as overheat alarms should not be mixed in with complex bloatware bells and whistles.

vas

Visit site
N2K is fine but I don't think you can display all those parameters on an MFD.
true, but you can set alarms on various categories of issues, then of course you need to find out what went wrong, but mostlikely looking at the normal gauges at lower helm, you'll get an idea

Tomaret

Visit site
You haven't mentioned halyard wear or is your's a mobo?
I’ll bet he doesn’t worry about windspeed and direction or speed through to the water to two totally spurious decimal places, either. For a raggie it’s a fascinating insight into monitoring large engines, and as somebody who has no technical knowledge at all I’d have no idea what to do with the information anyway. I have a row of warning lights at calf level behind me at the wheel which I can’t possibly see and alarms that I wouldn’t hear when the engine is on. I might be heading for a fall!

superheat6k

Visit site
PVB - I to am speechless at the hassle a cooked engine has caused me, and I see no reason why having the full monty is unreasonable. Aircraft do this, as did the Type 42 Destroyers and Type 22 Frigates I served on, and properyl set do not form a distraction, any more than an AIS, Plotter, Radar, etc.

Vas - the T100 is the sensor supplied by the makers of the Magnum controller which we use for all our chiller projects. The Magnum is sImilar to a Carel PCO5 only more adaptable.

The fuel vacuum levels are a good call. Need to fine a sensor that can give a scaleable 0-5vdc signal.

I think the T100 goes up to ~ 130oC, so would need to be on the water cooled surface, for which I will use a steel epoxy putty with a copper sense tube .

The controller is intended to control multiple refrigeration systems, but all the sensors and channels are adaptable, so a very versatile PLC, and one I am very familiar with.

All the parameters can be set to announce alarms, but I am looking at a graphical panel display set up, where a graphic can easily be seen when something is out of normal. I am looking at an Android running Linux to achieve this via wifi from the controller in the engine bay.

Attachments

• MCS-T100 Spec Sheet.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

prv

Visit site
a very versatile PLC, and one I am very familiar with.

All the parameters can be set to announce alarms, but I am looking at a graphical panel display set up, where a graphic can easily be seen when something is out of normal. I am looking at an Android running Linux to achieve this via wifi from the controller in the engine bay.

If I was going to build a system like this with a PLC - in my case, the Wago 750-series is the familiar option - I'd be looking to use the PLC system's own HMI rather than bothering to develop my own display system on a separate platform. This is probably a day's work total if you use the manufacturer's ready-made system - as you know, it's exactly the kind of thing PLCs are designed to make easy.

Pete

vas

Visit site
The fuel vacuum levels are a good call. Need to fine a sensor that can give a scaleable 0-5vdc signal.

Trevor,

I got a bunch of three s/h and very reasonably priced:
Vacuum Pressure Transducer Sensor -14.5-30 PSI Oil Fuel Gas Air Water 3-pcs | eBay
they are 0-5VDC

haven't added them on yet, just checked, didn't have time to find what thread they have so that I can tap on my Separs cover. Mind the white thing, just unbolts, there's a male thread underneath. Range is spot on for what we need there (couldn't find many doing both vacuum and pressure.

cheers

V.

andsarkit

Visit site
I assume it is a Pt100 platinum resistance thermometer. More accurate than a thermocouple or NTC/PTC thermistor. Available in a wide range of formats.
My mistake. It seems that the T100 is 100k @ 25degC, so specific to this manufacturer. There are some advantages in using standard sensors which are easier to incorporate with a huge range of fitments.