Fuel query

lpdsn

Visit site
Yes.

Tends to be cleaner too. People say red is just the same stuff with dye and markers added, but I find a noticeable difference in the amount of smoke at start up.

Downside with white diesel is that there is a fair size bio element which tends to degrade if stored for a long time. There's views either way and, IMHO, whilst there is something in it it's not as bad as people say.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Most red diesel now is exactly the same stuff as forecourt white with dye added. In a few ports with large fishing fleets it may be gas oil based but these are rare.

Some marinas supply red without FAME but my boat in Greece always uses standard road diesel that may or may not include it, without any problems.

Last edited:

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've used road diesel for several years since my boatyard stopped selling to boaters after the extra paperwork came in. Never had a problem since, Beta 25.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
We've used white road diesel for about 12 years with no problems whatsoever and hear of far fewer incidences of bug from those using it, red not allowed here for leisure use. Most places we fill up in tend to have a large turnover in fuel and it's stored at more stable temperatures than UK.