Friend overdue

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I have a friend who is considerably older and madder than me. He recently bought a 27ft boat in Sweden with the intention of sailing it back to Scotland. He intended to sail last Monday, and I was sufficiently concerned about the conditions en route to phone him Monday morning and recommend he stay put in Norway. He said he was definitely leaving though and had a good handle on the weather. He's done equally mad things before, so I maybe didn't try as hard as I should have to dissuade him, maybe remind him he was a lot younger then.

He is single-handed and the boat has, AFAIK, no safety equipment other than a handheld VHF. It also has hank-on headsails (with a storm jib available) and no self-steering, although my friend says the boat tracks well and he has had considerable success with sheet-to-tiller steering. I expressed my concerns about that working in the strong downwind conditions he was likely to encounter on day 2 and day 3 of the passage, and suggested he might need to get the storm jib on early to avoid foredeck work in bad conditions. I should perhaps have been stronger in expressing my reservations, but as far as I know he set off from the Farsund area on Monday morning, heading nominally for Peterhead or anywhere on the E. Coast. I suspect conditions will have driven him further South, and he had been talking about taking the boat to Sonehaven or Montrose. (He has family there).

Conditions en-route involved a developing low centred between Stavanger and Peterhead, with the strongest winds on the W. side affecting days 2 and three assuming a three day passage. Conditions were likely to be 25 - 30kts N/NW with 2 - 2.5m seas. All quite surviveable, no actual gales forecast, shipping forecast giving 4s to 6s. It's been five days now, so even if he spent the worst 48 hours hove to I would expect him to have limped into an East Coast port by now and phoned home. (Phone goes straight to voicemail)

His two children have been in touch with me and are obviously concerned. So far I have reassured them that it is too early to worry, but I am thinking that if there is no news by this afternoon it might be time to inform the coastguard. Boat is a canoe-sterned 27ft Allegro, sage green hull and white topsides, and I believe she is called Stockholms Blomma (Flower of Stockholm), although this does not seem to be marked on the hull anywhere.

FOS3.jpg

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Yup report overdue to coastguard, whilst there is nothing in the weather conditions that the boat couldn't survive maybe your friend has succumbed, had an accident or even gone for an unintended swim. Is he experienced enough to undertake such a passage, the North Sea is not a learning area.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Hopefully this'll be as simple as a flat phone battery and your friend is ok. With no long range comms or means of summoning assistance on board I guess hoping someone on here has spotted him is your best option.

Hope he shows up soon.

sarabande

Visit site
Webbie, get a message through to the UK coastguard as soon as possible, please. Even though no direct evidence of a problem requiring a search, they will alert vessels in the vicinity to keep an extra eye open.

If the situation does 'develop' (cross fingers it doesn't) the CG will have good background information and an early start to a formal search.

Bouba

Visit site
OK, Aberdeen CG informed.

If anyone has any info the Unique Reference Number is 524371 - and of course PM me.
You’ve done all you can...with any luck your friend heeded your advice, stayed in Norway and sold the boat to pay for a round of drinks...good luck👍👍👍

dunedin

Visit site
Hopefully this'll be as simple as a flat phone battery and your friend is ok. With no long range comms or means of summoning assistance on board I guess hoping someone on here has spotted him is your best option.

Hope he shows up soon.
As you know, there are a heck of a lot of oil rig (and wind farm) support vessels in this patch of water, so hopefully somebody will spot him if the Coastguard send an all ships message out
Fingers crossed

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
As you know, there are a heck of a lot of oil rig (and wind farm) support vessels in this patch of water, so hopefully somebody will spot him if the Coastguard send an all ships message out
Fingers crossed

I believe he had been talking to a friend on one of the rigs or platforms (he used to work offshore) who was sending him weather reports etc, so maybe they will get to hear and can shed some light.

Bouba

Visit site
Aberdeen CG SAR called me back. They are checking ports and harbours from Whitehaven to Broughty Ferry. Apparently the most common result in these situations is boat safely tied up somewhere, phone dead and skipper snoring. Fingers crossed.

Webby....if the outcome isn’t 100% great (and fingers crossed it will turn out fine)...just to say, don’t beat yourself up...you did all you could

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Webby....if the outcome isn’t 100% great (and fingers crossed it will turn out fine)...just to say, don’t beat yourself up...you did all you could

I could have been firmer in telling him to stay put. I would even have gone over to crew, but had MIL's funeral then covid (just tailing off now)

But tx, appreciated.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
GOOD NEWS!
---------------

The CG has found BIll, safe and well. He is 96nm E of Aberdeen. There is some sort of problem with the boat and an oil rig standby vessel is in attendance. Conditions are benign, and the CG expects the master of the standby vessel will offer help fixing the problem or possibly arrange a tow.

I have let his kids know, they will be relieved,.

The CG thanked me for giving him a more interesting Saturday morning than usual.

dunedin

Visit site
GOOD NEWS!
---------------

The CG has found BIll, safe and well. He is 96nm E of Aberdeen. There is some sort of problem with the boat and an oil rig standby vessel is in attendance. Conditions are benign, and the CG expects the master of the standby vessel will offer help fixing the problem or possibly arrange a tow.

I have let his kids know, they will be relieved,.

The CG thanked me for giving him a more interesting Saturday morning than usual.
Great news and well done for alerting the Coastguard. They always say if in doubt contact them early - they much prefer a wasted effort and a safe sailor, than a delayed call and recovering a body.

dunedin

Visit site
PS Now that he is safe, and once back in harbour ……… should his family have a serious talk to somebody attempting a (apparently) solo crossing of the northern North Sea with no self steering and “no safety gear except hand held VHF”.

Also hope he filled in all the Border Force forms before departure. And having “recently bought a 27ft boat in Sweden”, perhaps blown it somewhat if attempting to “sail under the radar” importing a boat to the UK that might be almost impossible to legally do so as unlikely to meet RCR / certification requirements, as looks to be pre-CE / RCD certification, plus need VAT payment?
But glad safe.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
PS Now that he is safe, and once back in harbour ……… should his family have a serious talk to somebody attempting a (apparently) solo crossing of the northern North Sea with no self steering and “no safety gear except hand held VHF”.

Bill has done more with less than anyone else I know. He is not likely to change now. He is intending to build a windvane before venturing further afield, and I will try to get him interested in a basic WiFi enabled AIS receiver he can interface with Navionics. He is not huge on paperwork, but navigates his way around and through bureaucracy fairly adroitly.