Fresh water

Sixpence

Visit site
Right, to some of the more experienced here (think that's most of you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) provisioning a boat is something you do without thinking about it. To me, never having done it, I wouldn't have a clue where to start /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Sixpence doesn't have a fresh water tank so I've been stock piling plastic bottles for fresh water. First trip is going to be a shake down in the relative shelter of the Wash, whilst heading for Wells or Heacham for a final check of everything before heading South. The next leg may well be a night passage to put some miles behind, so I'll be at sea for a good few hours by the time we make the next landfall if we stick to that. But I have no idea how much water I'm likely to need. Not keen on heading in just because I can't have any more tea or coffee, and yes I know everyone is different, but any rough idea of how much water to load would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
D

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
We reckon on 4 litres per person per day being economical, up to 12 litres per person per day being less careful..... and add a further 20ltrs per shower /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd suggest you forget to start with things like washing up, and leave the dishes dirty until you arrive!...

Also, fit a seawater tap/pump as that saves a lot of water in rinsing dishes and pans out and then just swill them in fresh to clean the salt off....

So for three people for 24hrs, i'd carry at least 30ltrs per 24hrs at sea as a minimum

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
We used to work an a gallon a day for two people, but that was with a sea water pump in the galley which we used for cold water in the washing up and rinsing. I'd a think a gallon per person per day was ample unless you have pressure water. I've only just got this with the new boat, so still on a learning curve!

Sixpence

Visit site
That's about the same as I figured on, so my collection of ten X three litre bottles should be about right.
Sea water tap is something I'll get around to after she's moved, so I can fit the intake at the best position. As for washing up, she's low enough in the water to be able to rinse on the move then a quick splash of fresh just to clear the salty stuff. But yep, full wash up can wait till we get there, I'm not proud

FullCircle

Visit site
We used to run a crew of 6 on 130 mile RORC races with the regulation 1 gallon can. Unopened.
Beer, about 2 crates.

Dave, get a 2 gallon plastic can and a spare lid. Drill a hole in one lid and feed a supply hose to a caravan hand Whale pump. Voila, a water system. Use the other lid when collecting water from a tap. Use a bungee to hold it in place. Cost about a tenner the lot. If you have room and are being profligate, have a spare can.
That is the system on Semi Circle.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Doubt if Dave has a shower on board Sixpence!

Obviously depends how many teas, coffees, soups etc you plan to drink in a day, how much washing, and dishwashing you do.

Couple of mugs of tea first thing in the morning, then one with breakfast, mid morning cuppa, lunch cuppa, afternoon tea = 3 pints per person per day. Cup a soup = another 1/2 pint. Bedtime drink = another 1/2 pint.

You can make your own estimates as to how much extra per person needed for teeth cleaning (1/2 mug per teeth cleaning). Extra for rinsing dishes (Bucket used to scoop up salt water for '1st wash', fresh water for rinsing) Extra for personal washing.

If you plan to cook on board, do you need water to cook it? Or are you just going to heat up stuff in tins? Some people use seawater for cooking but I wouldn't fancy it.

I have a flexible tank on board for water for washing up, etc. We use a portable water carrier - about 10 litres I think, which we refill daily if we can, for drinking.

I also have a stock of small bottles of water on board as they are handy to grab and drink when underway.

Don't forget the beers.

As if you would! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gin

Visit site
I tend to use my 60 litres of water for washing up, hand washing and occasionally when bottled water is low boiling for tea. No real reason why we don't drink it except that it lays in the tank for several weeks, so I hope to avoid bacteria.

The point of this is to say that when we go afloat we(3 crew) take a 4 pack of 2 litres of water which lasts for about 3 days, if we go ashore from time to time.

We've just come back from a 5 day stint, 3 nights visits ashore, and we got through about 14 litres of bottled water and as we drained the tank too, probably about 20 litres more washing up(we rinse too!!)etc.

edit:- forgot the purchase of a couple more bottles on a trip ashore, so just revised bottle total to 14 litres

Artemis_C2121

www.sailblogs.com
Dont know what all the fuss is about I tend not to drink anything that has not been brewed, distilled or fremented to many germs in that untreated water, as for washing up I am never in the gally so SWMBO would need to answer that bit /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

michael_w

Visit site
SWMBO and I crossed the Atlantic on 5 liters per day. No softie rinsing plates in fresh. Though I must admit I'm not too keen to sample the Orwell Spring Water.

Sixpence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We used to run a crew of 6 on 130 mile RORC races with the regulation 1 gallon can. Unopened.
Beer, about 2 crates.

Dave, get a 2 gallon plastic can and a spare lid. Drill a hole in one lid and feed a supply hose to a caravan hand Whale pump. Voila, a water system. Use the other lid when collecting water from a tap. Use a bungee to hold it in place. Cost about a tenner the lot. If you have room and are being profligate, have a spare can.
That is the system on Semi Circle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking Jim, I like it, and luckily I have room in the aft locker for just that, another job on the list for after the move though I think. Might even go for a deck mounted filler as I have fittings from the mobo I can use.

Sixpence

Visit site
Thanks all, just the info I needed, now I have a good idea how much to load for the trip, and how much to work on in the future

To those advocating liquids of the alcoholic beverage type, as if I wouldn't have some of that at the ready /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Dave,

Just remember that Jim's advice is for a RORC racing boat......

a few observations.....

1] These are the monkeys that are so obsessed by weight that they will cut the handles off their toothbrushes..... half the crew will not carry a toothbrush... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2] Most of the crew will spend the entire trip sat on the rail, and will not be allowed to go below for drinks.... the cooker is probably not powerful enough to make hot drinks anyway... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3] Sixpence will probably be at sea 3 times as long as a RORC boat to cover 130nm..... so will need considerably more water... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4] Cruising is slightly different from racing..... you may actually want to enjoy your food and drink rather than tolerate it......

On top of this, watch the weather..... on very hot or very cold days your consumption of fluids can change dramatically.....

While I don't disagree with the mindset.... and appreciate that on Sixpence weight and space counts, 2 gallons isn't enough to enjoy yourselves...... so with extra water, if you can fit it in, and can afford the weight, carry it!... with just 2 gallons and 3 people on board, 5 rounds of coffee or tea will use half your water......

Sixpence

Visit site
Don't get me involved in the RORC debate Neil /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But yes, I had intended increasing from two gallons as I have plenty of space, but the idea and method works well for me. I figure that once I get around to it I can install two large tanks in the aft locker without going to the expense of purpose made tanks. Then use a caravan water butt pump to pipe it around to where it's needed. But haven't got a sink yet so working on that later too /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The job list seems to be growing again /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sailorman

Visit site
on our Silhouette we used 2 gall water carriers + a whale pump with the pipe inserted though one "Captive" screw top the pipe leading into the fore peak . remove the cap/ top from a new carrier & screw the captive one in its place instant "plumbed in water system ". this system allows for a constant check on usage + you van stow a few full 2 gall containers about the ship.
avagoodtrip /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FullCircle

Visit site
Dave, I am sat here not able to move (back), but I know I have a sink in the shed somewhere. Been there for years, usual rules apply.

Sixpence

Visit site
Thanks Jim, much obliged /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif dig it out and no doubt in the near future we may be adventurous and make it to the Crouch. Somehow I don't think I'll be held back for much longer, so the Crouch will be in easy reach and you will be able to have a play on her too

sailorman

Visit site
Hi Dave wot about a reverse osmosis system then you can get water all day.

P.S. you might need a generator + fewel /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif