Fresh water/salt water antifoul

sb99

Visit site
First off a belated Happy New Year to everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Boat is coming out of water for a few weeks soon.

For those of you with a few more years experience of keeping a boat at Cardiff Bay, can you advise on how often you have needed to antifoul in the past?

One fellow boater told me that what grows in the fresh water is killed once you take it outside of the barrage, and vice versa for whatever you pick up in the channel, sounds logical to me.

Any advise much appreciated

Steve

DAVIDO

Visit site
Hi Steve and Happy New Year to you too.
We have only antifouled every other year with no ill effects. Was advised that black is best (no idea why or if true) in our area and we have stuck with it.
Cheers
Dave

bluedragon

Visit site
Agree with every other year. You only get slime anyway. Some AFs may last even longer. However, a wash down in slings might be advisable more often to get rid of the dreaded mussels!

PS - I've used Blakes Tiger red and it seemed to do the job well. Apparently the best choice in Milford Haven (salt water) as well, I heard today...

Allan

Visit site
I had my last boat in The Bay for 3 years and only had slime, which came off with a quick pressure wash. I have recently been told that slime has as much effect on speed as any other fouling. I was told this by a slimy salesman so I'm not sure about it.
Allan

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Steve and Happy New Year to you too.
We have only antifouled every other year with no ill effects. Was advised that black is best (no idea why or if true) in our area and we have stuck with it.
Cheers
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting comment. When we had a cat we found a totally different fouling on the dark bits between the hulls as opposed to the light bits on the outsides. I guess thats what he was getting at.

Visit site
When the bay was tidal my boat was on the trots in CYC it didnt have any anti foul,i just took her onto the wall to dry out and give her a scrub when needed,when they impounded the bay i had lost interest in her and she langised for 4 or 5 years in the fresh water until i sold her,they hauled her out over in Cambrian and there was a lot of slime and a few barnacles on the keels,she used to have a bit of grass growing around the waterline which came off easily enough.She was GRP.

Mike_S

Visit site
Happy NY to you too !

Ours hasn't moved for a couple of months now and the slime growth isn't too bad I have to admit, a light brushing took it off round the waterline last weekend. Certainly the last time I took it out into the channel it only took an hour or so of running to clean the slime off so I'd certainly vouch for that approach.

I'll be taking the boat out of the water in a month or so's time for the yearly spruce up and service, plus fitting the GPS etc. I'm hoping the antifoul doesn't need doing as well, otherwise I'd be tempted to just take it off altogether given the low growth rate of the 'gunk'. I've got a bigger list of more 'cosmetic' items to deal with this year /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

gonfishing

Visit site
Hi
The reason Black antifoul is more effective is because it has more active ingredients in it, as a lot less pigment is required to achieve the depth of colour required, Red and White are the weaker ones as they require a lot of pigment to achieve a uniform colour.

Regards
Julian