french canals and overwintering in south of france

darrylgregory123

Visit site
We are planning to take our SC35 through the French canal system this autumn with a view to leaving her in a secure place on the hard in the south for the winter and then returning to her in the spring for the season in the Med.
We would appreciate any advice for the canal system specifically in the autumn(perhaps not the ideal time I know) along with suggestions for an over winter destination. We will not stay with the boat on this occasion so restaurants, facilities etc won't be vital but it will need to be secure. I've heard that Port St Louis is a possibility but I understand that there may be some politics going on there at the moment. Any info and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Autumn needn't be too bad. We left Poole on 22nd Sept or thereabouts and had a great and almost leisurely (if sometimes rather cold) time at Rouen, Paris, Epernay and some other places along the way to St Jean do Losne, which we reached on 19th November and where we overwintered. Good community. Pretty safe. Some people who arrived a while after us said they started to experience pushing through surface ice and that this could have proved a problem if it had been much worse. A few other people we met there (not that many) continued further south without reported incident. But I would hazard that most years within a month (say) the downstream current (even on the Saone) starts to get (too) lively for comfort.

Places further south for overwintering, excepting the obvious Port St Louis/Napoleon, might include (both on the Rhone) Valence (good professional marina) and L'Ardoise (small, a bit quirky). We also know people who have chosen Port Camargue and also Lattes/Montpellier and been positive about them.

Info and pics on the website - even more waiting to be added /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

darrylgregory123

Visit site
Fab. I've spent some time on your website already- very useful thanks. Glad to see you have a dog- we will take our three. We hope to get right down to the south so it's interesting that you have met people that went further south through November, although hopefully there is less ice the further you get! Have you sold Grehan yet?

charles_reed

Visit site
Navy Service

Large compound, fenced except on canal side.

Entry gate operated by key card - Helmut lives in the house by the gate and keeps an eye on things.

Miles from anywhere (Port St Louis is 2.5km away) and there are about 400 boats there.

So fairly, if not super, secure.

Lift out expensive, staorage rates by the month very reasonable.

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
"Is Navy Service secure?"

Yes and no. I have never been broken into anywhere abroad but others have. I would guess everywhere. The worst case I have heard of was just an engine water pump, that is hard to get hold of, taken, from a boat stored in Preveza. It could only have been another yachtie, not locals.

I leave a note for a thief in the local language asking that he/she take what they want but not to do any damage. And if they have time, to please write a note of what they have take, for insurance purposes.

In other words, do what you think is sensible against entry by water, sun, frost, humans, insects and rodents and be happy if you get back and find no problems.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Hi all. Chris C says transport to Airport easy from Martigues. Intrigued, wonder if Chris's route is from rail Station Lavera to Saint Charles and then the Coach to the airport?Is there an easier way? boat is is Port Maritima. Good sailing to all!