Freedom 35 Catrig

ajc

Visit site
Has anyone out there any experience of these unstayed cat rig yachts. How good is the carbon fibre mast, I have never heard of one of these breaking on a Freedom but what is life expectancy. Also how do these boats handle/sail. Any info greatly appreciated.

MikeJones

Visit site
I sailed one of the first Freedom 35s in the country and was very impressed. Windward in light weather was not brilliant but off the wind with the staysail and forward sail ahead of the mast set she was unbeatable. Long waterline length and plenty of sail area blew every other 35 footer away.

Vagabond

www.flickr.com
I knew a guy who used to own "Dino" a Freedom 35 that is currently in Dartmouth marina.

He sailed it from the USA to Stockholm.

He did say that he used to have a lot of trouble with the sail coming out of the luff groove when the mast flexed. He eventually fixed it by fitting a track.

Signed Out

Visit site
I didn't think they used a groove- were a wraparound, or am I thinking of an older model?

Sailed on a Freedom 40 some years ago, and was impressed, but the carbon mast had some chafe around the bottom of the (wraparound in this case for sure) sail, which concernedme a bit, although the owner reckoned there was plenty left!
Jem.

PaulR

Home West Sussex, Boat on Mooring in Gosport
Visit site
owned for several years freedom 35 magic dragon with carbon fibre masts and wrap around sails with wishbones - thoroughly enjoyed it and most of the claims for the rig seeemed true- never heard of a carbon mast breaking and earlier ones are now 20+ years old but same not true of aliminium versions - for us as family cruiser performance fine - certainly kept up with cruisers of similar size to windward and left them off wind - the really good guys in freedom 35 used to reckon they would be mid fleet with the sigma 33's to windward and leave them all off wind - 2 versions of rig available - original with wraparound sails and wishbone booms - later alternative with fully battened rig and conventional booms - if you want more info let me know - friend still has his 35