Forestay Tension on Roller Reefing

Little Dorrit

Visit site
I have become aware that the forestay on a Vancouver 27 with roller reefing is a bit slack (perhaps?) ... so following a conversation with a local rigger, I slackened off all the shrouds (there are 6 shrouds in total) and the inner forestay. I then tightened the backstays to the available limit ( I don't have a Loos) and after tightened the shrouds. The forestay roller reefing tension improved quite a bit and now has about 8 to 10 inches of sideways movement i.e 4 to 5 inches each way with a good pull to port or starboard.

This may well be acceptable, I don't know, but it would be good to have some advice and I would appreciate your expert opinion. If this is not acceptable I have the option of increasing the backstay tension by shortening the bacsktays (easy) or shortening the forestay (expensive).

In addition the boat is cutter rigged so the inner forestay takes the staysail which acts as a storm jib in F8 plus so I assume it would be good to have the boat set up so in the eventuality of me having to use the inner forestay to take the storm jib I have this as an option and was therfore considering puuting on a highfield lever or similar - is this necessary?

Perhaps you could advise or is this a question for Practical Boat Owner's Reader to Reader?

Last edited:

lw395

Visit site
Probably more of a PBO question.
Is the mast deck or keel stepped?
Is the inner forestay permanent?