For the motorcycling sailors

dom

Visit site
Love the way he gives himself a nice warm coat, big gloves, and wellies, while she has to wear a tight little top and high-heel sandals ?

Then he makes her lift the heavier engine end!!
:)

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
Ye of little faith!

50824310267_4cc6f5e05f_z.jpg

Pics courtesy of Motorcycle.com

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

just as well it's not inflatable, high risk of getting punctured by the young lady!

rotrax

Visit site
Several of these were offered, but IIRC that was the only powered one.

Like aquatic cars and caravans a bit of an interesting gimmick.

Thanks for the link - I had only ever seen a magazine black and white picture before.

rotrax

Visit site
Love the way he gives himself a nice warm coat, big gloves, and wellies, while she has to wear a tight little top and high-heel sandals ?

Then he makes her lift the heavier engine end!!
:)

You did not read, mark and inwardly digest dom - it clearly says the JAP engine is in the bow.

I remember a similarly attired tasty chick at a Grass Track meeting.

Her beau, a well known Speedway Rider, got her to give him a push on the wet and soggy ground.

She did, mini skirt, white knee boots with heels, tight sweater stretched over an impressive pair.

The JAP fired up easily, the roost covered her with sticky divots and she burst into tears. She spent the rest of the day in a pair of oversize overalls.

We never saw her again until the end of season dance at the Wimbledon Speedway Supporters club.

She was adamant there would be no more Grass Track.............................................

Alicatt

Visit site
Mid/Late 1950s AJS twin (500cc, 600cc, 650cc?) by the way.

(I had a near identical AJS 500cc single, but without the leg guards, sidecar or boat)
In 1970 I had a Matchless G80s 500cc single, then a few Japanese bikes then a BSA M33 500cc single then much later a Yamaha IT 465 a 500cc single 2stroke I've had many bikes but never a sidecar, my late aunt used to drive my grandfather's outfit in the 1930s it had a wicker basket type sidecar.
Alicatt and the 1955 BSA:
SJIy6dT.jpg

georgebertie

Visit site
I hope my memory is not playing tricks,but I seem to remember reading of a similar outfit where the maiden voyage ended in tragedy. I think that no trace was ever found of the sidecar or its occupant. Again about 60 years ago.

rotrax

Visit site
In, IIRC 1929, Ariel Motorcycles set up a stunt with Harry Perry, mounted a 500 ohv single on twin floats. It was arranged so that the rear wheel, fitted with simple paddles, drove it forward.

They waited for a good day and crossed the English Channel.

A good bit of advertising copy.......................

Other threads that may be of interest