Food For Thought

Kristal

www.audnance.com
I thought it would be useful to gather a collection of recipes for simple yet delicious boat grub, the kind you knock up when you've been waiting for the weather just long enough to exhaust fresh supplies.

All recipes welcome, but especially those that require only tinned/dehydrates/unkillable ingredients, can be cooked on a stove with two burners and a grill or oven, and do not require elaborate presentation!

To start the ball rolling, here's my favourite "stuck-on-a-buoy" dinner. I had a basic idea about it, and then discovered Mirelle had been cooking it for years (clearly, cos it was yummy). Here's my variant, for two servings.

1 x Tin Corned Beef
1 x Tin Chopped Tomatoes
Any Dried Pasta (Spaghetti or Tagliatelle ideally)
Salt & Pepper

You can then add the following if required (and available)

Tomato Puree (don't think this has a short shelf-life, but check!)
Mild Chille Powder (great on board - makes baked beans rock)
1 x glass Red Wine (don't overdo it - drink the rest)
Chopped Onion
Garlic to taste

And make a bolognese. Chuck everything (except the pasta, obviously) into a frying pan. Simmer until the water in the tomatoes evaporates, the corned beef breaks down, and the sauce thickens, then boil the pasta and serve.

Any more for any more?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crystaltwo.co.uk/>Crystal II in Pictures</A>

ruff_n_tumble

Visit site
Fish noodle. Packet of fine egg noodles, simmer for 3 minutes. Add spicy szechuan noodle sauce and tin of tuna. About 5 minutes. Very tasty.

<hr width=100% size=1>Steve Marsh
Hunter 27 OOD "Ruff-n-Tumble"
Gosport

foredeckgrilla

Visit site
That's all my mate ever cooks on my boat, except take off everything but the pasta, and substitute mild for hot as the sun chillie, or so it seems.

Anyway, we don't mind as we're too busy to cook ourselves, we'll be busy trying to empty the booze locker.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Kristal

www.audnance.com
Vin Au Vin in a red wine sauce

...is my other favourite recipe - drink until you don't feel hungry anymore. It's also a good recipe for missing that 0600 tide.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crystaltwo.co.uk/>Crystal II in Pictures</A>

boatless

Visit site
Gingembre a fromage et \'leau du vie du cidre

Take four Ginger Nut biscuits and marinate briefly in Calvados. Thinly slice cheese and lay on top of bicuit. Grill gently until cheese is lightly browned. Garnish.

It was all the food left on the boat on the way back from a Deauville race. Rest of the crew were gutted to find that two of us had had a fine breakfast, with four or five hours to go,

<hr width=100% size=1>my opinion is complete rubbish, probably.

zefender

Visit site
Re: \'Chicken\' chat

Take ships cat, skin and otherwise prepare. Lightly season and place in oven for 20min per lb plus 20. Delicious with freshly made polenta, or any other everyday scraps you may have about the boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ruthhobson

Visit site
Another pasta variation - use smoked sausage, think it's Mattesons. They don't have to be kept fridgerated even though they are kept in the supermarket fridge, and they have a reasonable shelf life. Add it to a jar of pasta sauce and the whole thing will be ready by the time the pasta is cooked.

Ruth

<hr width=100% size=1>

mickp

Visit site
can not beat the pot mash take a pressure cooker add corned beef, beans, tinned spud,onions, soup, wine, garlic anything you like, simmer all night long, great for cross channel overnight sailing and just keep adding more or different ingredients. Fantastic results, and you only have to wash one pot.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: \'Chicken\' chat

if you have a ships cat, you might also have ships catfood. I did once attempt to cook using catfood but would not recommend it. Whilst a very sloshed, young and skint student, i overcame my nausea and put two tins of catfood in a frying pan and brought it to the boil. The house cat went mental and was joined by three other local cats which broke in via the catflap, and they all attacked each other in the kitchen. I turned the cooker of and ran out of the kitchen. I think i moved to another house very shortly afterwards, which was much more refined and we all kept our motorbikes in the front room having burnt all the living room furniture in the back garden, but that's another story.

<hr width=100% size=1>