flying keel

prv

Visit site
Only watched the first minute of video, but assuming there isn't a matching thingy on the other side, it's "just" a canting keel as used by racers for many years now. Perhaps it cants a bit further than others, but this kind of keel coming up out of the water is not unusual - several times a video has been posted of a guy in a dinner jacket climbing onto one from a jetski alongside a large yacht travelling very fast.

Pete

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Only watched the first minute of video, but assuming there isn't a matching thingy on the other side, it's "just" a canting keel as used by racers for many years now. Perhaps it cants a bit further than others, but this kind of keel coming up out of the water is not unusual - several times a video has been posted of a guy in a dinner jacket climbing onto one from a jetski alongside a large yacht travelling very fast.

Pete

ah...no.... ... completely different concept I think

mrming

instagram.com
6 mins in he tells how in 1980s Soviet Russia he built what looks like a quarter tonner in his 2nd floor apartment and lowered the pieces onto the street before assembling it! He was also part of the team who built the Russian maxi Fazisi on a $100k budget.

Regarding the flying keel concept, my question would be how does the design deal with leeway? Is heeling down on a pronounced chine enough?

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
6 mins in he tells how in 1980s Soviet Russia he built what looks like a quarter tonner in his 2nd floor apartment and lowered the pieces onto the street before assembling it! He was also part of the team who built the Russian maxi Fazisi on a $100k budget.

Regarding the flying keel concept, my question would be how does the design deal with leeway? Is heeling down on a pronounced chine enough?

one of the shots shows a dagger board just under the mast

uxb

Visit site
It seems like a refinement of the canting keel concept and given his track record of design it will be very interesting to see how it progresses with the wave piercing hull form,

mainsail1

Visit site
IMHO, its just another passing 'clever idea'. I am sure us sailors can see a list of reasons why this is just a 'clever idea' rather than a practical, long lasting solution.

daveyw

Visit site
If it's "flying" it's not really acting as a keel. It's merely a counter balance so why make it complicated as a canting keel. Why not just have a weight in the boat that you can poke out to windward with maybe a halyard/stay to the mast head?

Bobc

Visit site
or the international canoe

It is effectively doing the same thing as a body on a plank (as on the Canoe), but this can be scaled.

The boat has a daggerboard to stop leeway and create lift, and this is really just a counter-weight.

He's a clever guy and ahead of his time; a radical forward-thinker. He designed a dinghy years ago called the MX ray, which was a fabulous piece of design.

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
But why is the bulb so tiny? Compare the volume of the bulb with one of the crew. Even if it is made of spent uranium, a man on a trapeze would probably provide more righting moment. (I appreciate that this is probably a small-scale simulator of his round-the-world boat.)