Fluttering sails

ctva

Visit site
I never realised it was just fabric. I take it they'd never heard of UV degredation...

ctva

Visit site
Many people forget to secure their furling jib.
I have to say that I've never understood why people do not remove sails over the winter (unless of course they use the boat ove rthe winter but only a very few do). I've tied up many over the years at our wee marina on our monthly visits.

Poignard

Visit site
I have to say that I've never understood why people do not remove sails over the winter (unless of course they use the boat ove rthe winter but only a very few do). I've tied up many over the years at our wee marina on our monthly visits.
There are boats lid up for the winter near me with sails bent, fenders still dangling from the guardwires and warps on the mooring cleats.

It wouldn't suprise me if, Marie Celeste-like, the remains of the last meal were on the table! :D

Praxinoscope

Visit site

Couldn’t agree more, it seems absolutely crazy to leave sails on through the Winter when the boat is on the hard, this time we have been lucky only one boat has lost its furling Genoa in this storm, as far as I can see all the others re OK.
I suppose claiming on the insurance at least ensure a nice new Genoa at minimum outlay. ( providing the insurers don’t find a loophole and turn the claim down)

Beelzebub

Visit site
There are boats lid up for the winter near me with sails bent, fenders still dangling from the guardwires and warps on the mooring cleats.

It wouldn't suprise me if, Marie Celeste-like, the remains of the last meal were on the table! :D

Wouldn't taking the mast down if the boat is left unattended during winter be the best option?:cautious:

Rappey

Visit site
Two yachts in portsmouth harbour on swinging moorings had their head sails unwrap and within the hr both were dismasted.

Poignard

Visit site
Wouldn't taking the mast down if the boat is left unattended during winter be the best option?:cautious:
I used to do that when I laid up in Emsworth Yacht Harbour. It was compulsory.

Not a bad idea really, saved wear and tear on the rigging and allowed me to inspect it easily.

I would do it now except the yard where I now am would charge me 300 euros for craneage. :confused:

[2574]

Visit site
I noticed on the news last night that the reporter when commenting on the storm, was stood in front of a row of laid up yachts on the hard where one had a genoa on the furler with sheets deployed as if ready to sail. Madness.

mrming

instagram.com
In our marina there’s three flapping genoas, one on a small boat in the yard which has taken the mast with it. They’re all older boats which haven’t been touched in years. Still gusts of 45 knots coming through so not a lot can be done right now.

SimonKNZ

Visit site
I’ve often wondered why some sailors leave a triangular “flag” of sail exposed when they furl a headsail - surely this is just increasing the risk of an unplanned unfurling, as well as increasing UV exposure? I always furl mine completely with a turn or two of sheet wrapped around the sail and a stopper knot in the furling line just aft of the jammer.