Flotilla Honeymoon - Which company?

rosie

Visit site
My son (plus new wife) is thinking of a flotilla sailing honeymoon in late September in Greece or Croatia. Both are experienced sailors but have no experience of flotilla sailing. They would like to use a company where the apres sail activities are laid back and they could do their own thing without being party poopers. We would be grateful for recommendations.

Tranona

Visit site
Support bareboating. Plenty of choice and would probably end up cheaper for two if they booked their own flights as well. Corfu is the easiest for flights with Easyjet every day.

pheonix

Visit site
SWMBO and i are taking a floatilla with sailing hollidays in october as a celebration for silver wedding anniversary joined by freinds who are also cellebrating their ruby wedding anniversary at the same time.
i have sailed with S.H. before and like the laid back approach that go with this company.

Achillesheel

Visit site
My daughter & son in law honeymooned in Croatia on a flot with sailing Holidays last year - August. they had a great time, and could spend time on their own or with the rest of the flot as they wished.

SWMBO & I had been on a flot there a month or so previously, and left a bottle of bubbly and a "Just Married" banner for the lead crew to put on Kate & Gareth's boat.

Davy_S

Visit site
Why not have a word with Sailing Holidays? you can take one of the Flotilla boats yourselves, you are given a list of ports where the flotilla will be, providing you keep in contact by phone. You can then have your privacy and choose to join them one evening if you desire. Sort of best of both worlds.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
All the well known holiday companies offering flotilla holidays are flexible in their sailing arrangements for experienced sailors. You'll start and end your holiday in the same locations as the rest of the flotilla, but in between you can choose to travel with them, or not, or join them for a day or two, or not.

It's useful to travel in broadly the same areas because then, if any maintenance is needed (and it often is), it's quickly available.

In mid September there's a bigger chance of unsettled weather in Croatia than in the southern Ionian.

JasB

Visit site
Someone posted on here a month-or-so ago, mentioning a website that dealt with last minute sailing holiday bookings. I remember I had a look, and there were some good deals on there. Can anyone remember the thread?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Does it have to be Greece? South of France is lovely in Sept, still plenty of atmosphere, but less crowded and cheaper than July/Aug. From where you are, cheap Ryanair flights to Toulon. Kirioukolis (spelling) operate from Port de Borme, with a large fleet of bare board boats. Taxi from Airport to Port de Borme is about e60.

From Port de Borme it is an easy sail up the coast to St Tropez. With plenty of little cossy anchoarges on the way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cantata

Visit site
I'd recommend Sailing Holidays too.
In some areas (not sure where) they have some excellent elderly boats (Jaguars), some of which have had a complete refurb down below including a huge double berth!!

DRANNIE

Visit site
My sister is currently on her second flotilla with Neilson in croatia. Her and her husband have rented a 35 footer. They reckon its a good compromise as you get to do what you want during the day but organising marina's is sorted for you and you get help mooring up. There is no pressure to party and its not 18-30 style stuff.

TNT

Visit site
I would also recommend Sailing Holidays especially the South Ionion, much prettier & Kefalonia is one of the many perfect honeymoon destinations of the islands. The company are very laid back & they will be able to go off on there own for part of the trip or have the choice of partying with the rest of the group too. Can't comment on Crotia, never been but we are planning living aboard in Greece soon & planning a wedding out there on one of the remote islands...............it's very romantic, hope they have a great time.

Sailfree

Visit site
I have regularly recommended Sailing Holidays but after our last 2 weeks Flotilla in Croatia I now have reservation.

Weather was windy and we were stuck in a Port on 3 occassions as they would not allow free sailing (there were a number of very experienced charterers this week) so it was all go or no-one goes. As others were sitting out the more windy days and they could therefore not find a Port that would take the whole fleet it was no-one goes anywhere!

Be warned.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Having been with Sailing holidays, Neilson and Sunsail it is very much dependent on the personalities of the lead crew. Have been given freedom to go where we want on both Neilson and Sailing holidays, little more restricted on Sunsail. But have spoken to others on Sunsail flotilla and found they had lot of freedom to go away for week at a time.

As for evening funtions have found on all you are free to join in or do your own thing as much as you like. In some of the smaller harbours with one or two tavernas you are likely to be in close proximity to other flotilla members - but it is nice to occasionally meet up for a meal. If you really want to spend all your time together bare boat would be best - good luck and have a great time