Flooring

G

Having just spent two hours removing the old laminate from the cockpit floor of my Broads based boat, what do I replace it with? Any suggestions? Is domestic laminate good enough, or is there something better?

gtmoore

Visit site
I have the same requirement to replace a cabin floor and have been considering the Teak/Holley laminates from K J Howells (who I heard about from this forum). It's not exactly cheap but maybe something like this would be suitable for you?

Their catalogue can be downloaded from www.k.j.howells.dial.pipex.com if you are interested.

Regards

Gavin

G

Depends on what you want it to look like! Fancy teak and holly is all very well but it's slippery. Proper laid teak even better but don't scrub it with the grain. On a race boat I saw stud rubber on the cabin sole. Excellent stuff. non-slip, comfy to walk on in bare feet, looked smart it's quite pricey though.

eddieperkins

Visit site
I used a vinyl floor covering stuck down with time bond (?)contact adhesive, the one that gives you some moveability. The edges were sealed with silicone sealant. It did an excellent job at very little cost and was comfortable and very hard wearing. There are a wide range of finishes available.
Regards
Eddie

G

Eddie

Sound's good, 'Time Bond' never heard of that one, but I will look for it.

Regards
Norman

eddieperkins

Visit site
Norman,
Its an Evo stick product, available from all good....etc etc.

The secret is to cut your flooring to fit then apply adheasive to both floor and flooring, allow to dry to a tacky stage the, and this is the clever bit, lay paper or battend on the floor, lay the flooring on top of this, align one corner or side exacly (this is where the movability comes in to its own) then gradually remove the battens or paper, smoothing down the flooring as you go, any mistakes can usually be corrected as you go along.
Regards,
Eddie

G

Eddie

Once again thanks. I think I understand the process, will let you know how I get on. Will now shop around for the Vynyl.

Regards