Flood wobbles

byron

RIP
Visit site
Funny how everyone wobbles these days every time the river rises. I've lived here now for a generation and sure enough every year there are floods of varying degrees. I guess it is because of last year's summer major floods coupled to the panic about global warming that makes it all so newsworthy.

Gavi

Visit site
I think you are right and I did mention same to SWMBO. I was interested by the watch warning having just driven along a very soggy M4, but not overly worried having experienced last year, our first "bad" one.

It is actually rather fun and part of being here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Both of my moorings have disappeared and I've still got the waders ready though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
Methinks it's all due to the success of this forum (wobblies, not the acshul flooding ye ken).

I was intrigued last winter when folks went out and complained about the strength of the stream. Part of the "dead" season. Grotty weather; nobody goes out, boats out of the water, no traffic

A good time foe EA to do its maintenance. (poor devils).

Forum pops up,
Folks make posts,
mass hysteria.

Before the forum, flood warnings on the EA site were difficult to find, so unless there was a major problem nobody bothered - no means of mass communication, you see.

Chris_d

Visit site
I'd agree having been near the river all my life, it always floods in January and Febuary, no flood would be unusual.
Having said that though, a little bit of rain seems to bring it up much faster than it used to, maybe the raindrops are bigger /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rr_123

Visit site
It's cos we use metric rain now (c:

I agree, the river should nearly always flood, that's what happens in flood plains... I think that we have a problem with over-enthusiastic reporters jumping on a "climate change" bandwagon, and overly greedy developers building in areas which are known to all but the housebuyers (it would seem) to be flood plains.

Also a bit of a shift towards a "nanny" state where if your house floods it has to someone else's fault, and rather than get on with repair and prevention, it should be up to some government or council agent. am I becoming a grrrrrrrrumpy old man?