Floating white elephant

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Good news I guess. I doubt that the council will hold itself to account! Don’t think they’ve covered themselves in glory over this matter. Presumably the IOW Council tax payers are the losers.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The floating bridge is a mess. The river is changing, it’s a nearly impossible design brief. We still have yards on the Island, or at least did, who could build one, but none bid for it last time, they all knew.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Someone told me the chains are too small aswell, also the new breakwater has had an effect on the Medina, possibly increasing the tidal flow
Amongst other changes in the river, yes. Possibly all to do with the breakwater. The law of unintended consequences there. I haven’t heard about the chains, but then, if there’s more strain, that could well be so.

Elessar

Visit site
The entry shape to the ramps didn’t match the ramp, and the sideways drag is too high, it drags down tide so much it cannot safely land, on spring tides. They have to have a tug to push it into the tide.
Why not just fit thrusters rather than need a tug?
(Lateral thinking, literally)
Just needs to be designed for the conditions.
They are predictable after all.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don't remember reading any issues with the previous floating bridge, perhaps copy that design.
The problems were probably coming down the line.
Why not just fit thrusters rather than need a tug?
(Lateral thinking, literally)
Just needs to be designed for the conditions.
They are predictable after all.
They are predictable. I suppose they didn’t think it would need them. The thing is a standing joke to us Islanders. They’ve had to install electronic signs on routes that might finish there to say if it’s working or not. It's at the point where ‘floating bridge operating normally’ leaves you none the wiser.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk

Scarron

Visit site
I thought the old one was still around somewhere until recently, I believe it was designed by Alan Burnard [Fairey Huntsman, Swordsman etc.] consequently worked properly. Maybe they should buy that back?