"Floating" anchor

alanporter

Visit site
\"Floating\" anchor

Last weekend I decided to anchor fore and aft in a tight space. I dropped a twenty four pound Danforth over the stern as I approached my chosen spot at about four knots. A bit too fast, I admit. Instead of sinking to the bottom, the anchor surfed behind my boat until the speed dropped to about two knots.
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon ? What's the explanation ?

<hr width=100% size=1>Alan Porter

heinzthedog57

Visit site
Re: \"Floating\" anchor

'a bit too fast...' is right !
In a tight spot 4kts means damage.
The fastest manoevre is a slow manoevre; take it from one who knows.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hylas

Visit site

Sorry if I disagree with the term " too fast"

Your anchor should be designed to be used in EMERGENCY.. when you don't have the possibility to choose the way you are anchoring..

Instead of "Too fast" my answer will be "WRONG DESIGN"

<hr width=100% size=1>

Deep_6

Visit site

I would have thought the flukes would have acted as hydroplanes and forced the anchor to dive at that speed - unless they were stuck in the other direction - does that sound feasable?

<hr width=100% size=1>

alanporter

Visit site

Deep 6. Yes, I noticed that the flukes were pointing upwards as the anchor surfed behind my boat. However, the anchor held OK when it engaged the seabed. I have never seen anything like it before. Maybe a plough type anchor would be best used over the stern when the after anchor is dropped first, or maybe I should have anchored forward first, then gone astern to drop the after anchor. I'll know in future.

Best wishes

<hr width=100% size=1>Alan Porter

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Re: "Floating" anchor

Kedged off using a Brittany lookalike last week after a wee encounter with the putty . . . after which it was covered in mud, so dropped it over the stern to wash it off. The thing surfed along on or just below the surface, showing no tendency to sink but creating a lot of drag. I reckon it might be useful streamed over the stern at the end of its rode if I ever need to slow the boat down running in big seas.

- Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</A></font size=1>

Deep_6

Visit site

Alan,
I bare boat chartered in Greece a few years ago and moored bows too all the time and the aft anchor provided was a plough type and worked great every time on the run in.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Deep_6

Visit site

Hey Nick - the world's your putty in the West!! hope you did not upset any molluscs

<hr width=100% size=1>

fluffc

Visit site

IMHO:

When you dropped the anchor over the side, the whole schaboodle inverted - and the chain kept the anchor upside-down, while the spokes did it's best to go upwards (into the air!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Shanty

Visit site

It used to be possible to buy a hollow plastic anchor. Great design - nice & light to stow, & didn't mark the topsides. Whe you wanted to use it, all you had to do was fill it with water to make it heavy enough to dig in. Surprised they never caught on.

<hr width=100% size=1>

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk

Not necessarily a wrong design or use for the Danforth. Is it possible that the rope/chain was not slack which pulled the anchor like a waterski? Maybe try and make sure the rope is slack to give the anchor time to turn and dig into the water...

<hr width=100% size=1>Princess Owners Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://surf.to/princessownersclub>http://surf.to/princessownersclub</A>